LCD Viki 2.0 vs Makergear LCD

General discussion topics
creativedex

Re: LCD Viki 2.0 vs Makergear LCD

Post by creativedex » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:57 pm

I have all my printers side by side so they need to take up as small of a foot print as possible. they are even slightly staggered to allow for a closer fit so the other side, mounted similarly would be ideal for me.

Ive been wondering if it voids any warranty if you remove the knob on the lcd as its paint marked when putting it in a new case?

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:07 pm

creativedex wrote:LCD is often slow and at times i have to turn the knob to half way between indents to select what I need to! Cant even count the number of times ive started the wrong print and then have to wait for it to actually start printing to stop it before restarting again...
Pretty sure you can pause/stop it right away (or at least mine has that functionality)?
creativedex wrote:I havent had the time to play with them to figure out how to even extrude and retract filament to change a roll out... which seems to be a basic function of every other printer for the last year or so. I have my printers each set up with a usb cord that runs over to my computer for filament changes, repairs, and bed leveling.

Extruding and retracting filament isn't bad...just go to the menu then Prepare -> Move Axis (scroll all the way down) -> Move 1 mm -> Extruder then turn counterclockwise to retract or clockwise to extrude. I do wish it was a little less buried but it's definitely there and it definitely works. :)

For reference: https://www.scribd.com/doc/237971715/LC ... n-Firmware
creativedex wrote:They also dont have long enough cables and you cant even buy longer ones anywhere, at one point I saw a forum where a guy was making them but he no longer does. So my solution to this was to cut one of the vent holes in the front of the board case to run them through just so i can have it sit in front of the printer. FYI, the ribbons will block a lot of air flow because the fans sits right over where they plug in... that fan placement also pisses me off, I keep having to replace them because during the purge, filament falls into them and either breaks the blades or burns the fan up if your not right there to catch it...The case the LCD is in also makes it annoying to use because you always need two hands to use it because its not attached to anything and so light weight it slides around...
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by this bit. My filament never falls anywhere close to that fan. Can you post a picture of your setup? To remedy the sliding around bit, you could maybe use a piece of rubber or similar? It just depends on what surface you have the printer on. Or a mount like the others said.

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Pretty sure you can pause/stop it right away (or at least mine has that functionality)?

Yes you can once the print has started... ie after the purge just not until then

Extruding and retracting filament isn't bad...just go to the menu then Prepare -> Move Axis (scroll all the way down) -> Move 1 mm -> Extruder then turn counterclockwise to retract or clockwise to extrude. I do wish it was a little less buried but it's definitely there and it definitely works. :)

For reference: https://www.scribd.com/doc/237971715/LC ... n-Firmware

Thanks, I will check out the link, however I am no a firmware/gcode guru. Its not a fast and reliable to do with flexible filaments which is 99% of what I print. I count the seconds and number of clicks it takes to do everything, from setting up prints to creating shipping labels. I have several jobs so I have to be efficient in order to get prints running while im working other jobs

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by this bit. My filament never falls anywhere close to that fan. Can you post a picture of your setup? To remedy the sliding around bit, you could maybe use a piece of rubber or similar? It just depends on what surface you have the printer on. Or a mount like the others said.[/quote]

The LCD is just on the desk so it slides around easily within the 3 or 4 inches that it can due to the cable length. My start process has a long purge, again due to printing flexibles to ensure a good flow, and this typically means it will find its way in to the fan... I made one shroud for an older printer however it doesnt work on the newer beds so i just need to make a flexible one that wont interfere with the bed as it drops to the bottom. There is a solution to everything and really just wanted people to be aware of this being a potential problem... its easy to not catch and could possible burn your board up, but perhaps this isnt really a problem as ive had dead case fans and not killed the board yet. The ribbons should probably be rolled up in the case to allow better airflow as they are right under the fans

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:44 pm

creativedex wrote:Yes you can once the print has started... ie after the purge just not until then
Interesting - sounds like yours must work differently than mine.
creativedex wrote:Thanks, I will check out the link, however I am no a firmware/gcode guru. Its not a fast and reliable to do with flexible filaments which is 99% of what I print. I count the seconds and number of clicks it takes to do everything, from setting up prints to creating shipping labels. I have several jobs so I have to be efficient in order to get prints running while im working other jobs
If you click the link you'll see it has nothing to do with firmware or gcode. It's simply an image that shows the way the menus are arranged on your LCD screen. To change the filament all you have to do is navigate through the menus to the correct point. I don't see how it would be dependent on the type of filament, unless I'm misunderstanding something. As you get used to doing it you'll be able to progress through the menus quite fast. :) I'd say it's definitely not slower than picking up your computer, plugging it in, booting up S3D...
creativedex wrote:The LCD is just on the desk so it slides around easily within the 3 or 4 inches that it can due to the cable length. My start process has a long purge, again due to printing flexibles to ensure a good flow, and this typically means it will find its way in to the fan... I made one shroud for an older printer however it doesnt work on the newer beds so i just need to make a flexible one that wont interfere with the bed as it drops to the bottom. There is a solution to everything and really just wanted people to be aware of this being a potential problem... its easy to not catch and could possible burn your board up, but perhaps this isnt really a problem as ive had dead case fans and not killed the board yet. The ribbons should probably be rolled up in the case to allow better airflow as they are right under the fans
Ah okay. Yes you may want to redesign your shroud. When I start prints I'm generally right at the printer and I catch that purged filament as it falls. But if you're counting seconds you might be better off with the shroud. :)

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:43 pm

...Just finishing up a new shroud as I burned up another fan yesterday

steve220

Post by steve220 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Could you share a photo once it is installed? I'm having trouble visualizing the issue you are having.