Slow Server

General discussion topics
rpollack

Slow Server

Post by rpollack » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:16 pm

The forum is currently on a shared server (1&1) and appears to be running slowly. I will look into moving this to a better platform. Any recommendations on the proper way to host this?

Edit: I contacted 1&1 and it appears the problem is not limited to our server - they say they are working on it.

Thanks,
Rick

Toby

Re: Slow Server

Post by Toby » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 pm

I'm no expert, just some limited experience and opinions here.

From the looks of their web page 1&1 is an el-cheapo provider. I would expect this sort of problem to be a regular occurrence with them.

I would check out Amazon Web Services for a more professional solution. A quick search revealed they have phpBB implemented and included in at least one plan. I tested a free service they have for hosting web pages a few weeks ago and found it easy to use.

sprior

Post by sprior » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:09 am

There are some big denial of service attacks going on the last couple of days, I wouldn't get too nuts until this blows over.

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:09 am

phpBB is not an over robust code that taxes servers. Shared server should do the job.
Checked on the number of registered members, it was like 200 and some, any shared server can handle
that load. Down the road when you have 100s at the same time use this board, then upgrade.

I have almost 800 members on my phpBB Michigan based board, on a shared server hosted by Precision Web in California
with zero load time issues.

At times choke point can be in the pipe, not the server, depending on where the server is located.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com