x and y-stops losing ground

General discussion topics
imsmooth

x and y-stops losing ground

Post by imsmooth » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:11 am

When I start the printer I wanted to level the bed. This involves moving the plate back and forth with the jog. Initially, the X and Y stops precisely stop the plate if it moves too far to the side. After a few times of moving the plate the X and Y stops are less accurate and don't stop the plate in time. Any thoughts? I would think this is a hard-wired switch.

Dale Reed

Re: x and y-stops losing ground

Post by Dale Reed » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:28 am

imsmooth,

As far as I can remember, the hardware limit switches are used only for homing the axis. After that, everything is aligned by keeping track of step counts sent to the motors. So maybe you are losing steps somewhere.

Here are a few things to check:

1. Make sure the belt driving (toothed) pulleys on the X and Y motors are secured to the motor shaft -- setscrews tightened. Some folks have had them work loose. Check other threads here for recommendations on "lock-tite" or something like that for keeping the setscrews "set" after tightening to the motor.

2. One user reported having issues with the ABS printed belt clamps -- there's one under the "spider" that rides the Y axis belt, and one under the extruder assemblage that rides the X axis belt. Make sure each is securely gripping the respective belt.

3. Some users have reported losing steps and having to increase the current applied to the stepper motors (which determines the holding and accelerating torque of the motors, and which is set in the firmware), or reducing the accelerations of the X and Y axes (which can be done by sending appropriate G-codes -- which start with M by the way ;-) ) to the machine -- once you get accelerations dialed in right, you can send another code to the printer to copy those settings to EEPROM on the microcontroller so the board powers up with the new settings.

Let us know how you progress. And I'm sure some others will chime in with other ideas...

Best Regards,
Dale