Computer requirements for M2

General discussion topics
Tombot

Computer requirements for M2

Post by Tombot » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:01 am

Can anyone recommend a decent desktop computer for my M2 ? How about a laptop ?

insta

Re: Computer requirements for M2

Post by insta » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:23 am

(assuming this isn't a spam post...)

Really any modern machine will work for printing. The technical grunt is required when making the parts themselves, once the printing starts it's pretty hands-off. If you're running on 8-10 year old hardware you may want to save to an SD card and print that way -- your M2 will support that out of the box.

Laptops DO work, but you need to disable the power-saving features so they don't go to sleep midway through the print.

If you can buy it for $300 at Walmart it's probably going to work fine.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:18 pm

Do you need one for designing? You can use about anything that is a couple of years old.
Need one for running the printer? You can use about anything that is a decade old or a Raspberry Pi with Octoprint or just an SD card.

You thinking Mac or Windows? My studio runs 95% on Mac Minis of various vintages. I just happen to also have a decent PC that I use as well for one 3d printer/laser cutter because my laser software needs a PC and I had one around.

Most of your 3d printing needs can be met with very affordable computing power, using about any OS. If you are doing very high end design/rendering/animation then you will need more horsepower. Laptops work fine.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Neep

Post by Neep » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:14 pm

If it's just for the printing, I recommend a Raspberry Pi with OctoPi. Total cost about $50. You just use the web interface to upload your gcode files to it and tell it to print. You can put a webcam on it and print from anywhere (technically).

I use it to print from my office to my printer (which is in my garage) without having to get up and go in there (unless I need to change spools or something).

https://octopi.octoprint.org/