How cool is it to be able to print spare parts!

General discussion topics
13brv3

How cool is it to be able to print spare parts!

Post by 13brv3 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Greetings,

I've had my M2 since early 2013, though it was put away for a couple moves. I recently got it back out, did the upgrade to 24V and V4, and it's working well. During a few test prints, I heard a cracking noise, and started noticing a bobbing of the extruder. It turns out that the extruder motor mount was cracked (maybe I over-tightened it). Even bobbing a little, it was printing pretty well, and I found an upgraded version in the GitHub, so it's good as new now.

I considered this a warning, and printed spares of all the parts I might eventually need. I just can't get over how cool it is to be able to do that 8-)

Thanks Makergear!
Rusty

ak47

Re: How cool is it to be able to print spare parts!

Post by ak47 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Did you print your parts with ABS or PLA? I'm curious which is recommended, assuming it's ABS but I only have PLA.

BrookeDavis

Post by BrookeDavis » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:36 am

It turns out that the extruder motor mount was cracked (maybe I over-tightened it). Even bobbing a little, it was printing pretty well, and I found an upgraded version in the GitHub, so it's good as new now.

13brv3

Post by 13brv3 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:34 pm

ak47 wrote:Did you print your parts with ABS or PLA? I'm curious which is recommended, assuming it's ABS but I only have PLA.
I didn't know how much longer the cracked mount would last, so I printed it with the PLA that was already set up in the machine. I printed 100% infill, and fully expected to use the PLA mount to print one from better material, but it came out so nice that I'm still using it. I've switched to PETG for most everything I print now, and I printed spares of everything I could using PETG.

Cheers,
Rusty

garyl

Post by garyl » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Makergear makes a new metal motor mount due to the cracking issue. http://www.makergear.com/collections/pa ... otor-mount

If you want to print new parts PETG is a great alternative material for ABS.

13brv3

Post by 13brv3 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:48 pm

garyl wrote:Makergear makes a new metal motor mount due to the cracking issue. http://www.makergear.com/collections/pa ... otor-mount

If you want to print new parts PETG is a great alternative material for ABS.
Thanks for the link to the motor mount. I read something about a metal mount, but for some reason didn't think it was for the stock motor. I might just queue one of those up for the next order I place from Makergear.

cheers,
Rusty