Looking to purchase M2

General discussion topics
leeinfl

Looking to purchase M2

Post by leeinfl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:28 am

Hello All,
I am almost there at pressing the buy now button but would like reassurance as to what resolution this M2 printer will print. If I can ask someone to print a file that I have (.stp) I would greatly appreciate that. I will pay for all material, time and shipping if someone is interested.
Thanks
Lee

Farr0wn3d

Re: Looking to purchase M2

Post by Farr0wn3d » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:14 am

might help to post up the file, and the criteria you are looking for: ie. layer resolution, nozzle size (if smaller than the stock 0.4mm), speed, etc. the parameters that your looking for confirm on.

leeinfl

Post by leeinfl » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:04 am

Farr0wn3d:
What I am looking for is what this printer can do with what is provided.
This part is going to be used as a compression part that will hold a composite layup of material compressing it against a inside corner.
Has to be durable and stand temp of 150 degree F.

With reading the specs on the M2 this is what I am coming up with:

0.35 mm brass nozzle
Printing: 80 - 200 mm/sec for best print quality. Travel Speed: 450 mm/sec maximum.
50 micron to 0.25 mm with a 0.35 mm nozzle.
Carbon Fiber PLA Material

I know that there is a big learning curve in this and you may have better recommendations.
I just want to see what this printer can produce.

I tried to contact you thru this forum but am unable.
I would rather just send the file to you and not everyone else.

Thanks
Lee

leeinfl

Post by leeinfl » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:42 am

What I am looking for is what this printer can do with what is provided out of the box.
This part is going to be used as a compression part that will hold a composite layup of material compressing it against a inside corner.
Has to be durable and stand temp of 150 degree F.

With reading the specs on the M2 this is what I am coming up with:

0.35 mm brass nozzle
Printing: 80 - 200 mm/sec for best print quality. Travel Speed: 450 mm/sec maximum.
50 micron to 0.25 mm with a 0.35 mm nozzle.
Carbon Fiber PLA Material

I know that there is a big learning curve in this and you may have better recommendations.
I just want to see what this printer can produce.

How do I attach .stp file?

Thanks
Lee

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:46 am

Zip the file, then click Upload Attachment in the Blue area underneath the white text area when you are composing a reply. Click the Browse button, find the file on your desktop, then click Add the File.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:38 am

you're correct, those are the specs for the printer, more or less. But what I meant was, which specs are you hoping to confirm, as in which ones are the critical ones that you need to be true for you to deem the M2 "worth the money"?

Frankly, Makergear underrates their printers, likely because its a good rule to "under-promise and over-deliver". Which it does.

I have personally printed with many materials that arent on their materials list, and aside from that, its a very hackable printer, so if there is a capability that you wish for it to have, you can usually add that with minimal headaches. The M2 is a very capable printer, in terms of pushing past the "usual" uses of desktop 3D printers.

In my personal experience, an M2 with very little modification (I had a different hot end) will reliably print as low as 40 micron layer heights(when calibrated finely), maybe even less, and with 0.5mm thick walls (using a 0.25mm nozzle). I generally print between 30-100mm/second for print speeds, depending on material and the requirements of the piece i'm printing.

If you need to print items for higher temps, I suggest Colorfabb HT. Its supposedly good up to 100C.

If you get one, and you are stuck in any way, this forum is a friendly bunch of skilled users who are generally very helpful. I know this firsthand, as I was a noob not that long ago myself, and on many occasions I had other more knowledgeable users go out of their ways to help me out.

I hope this ramble has helped with some of your questions.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:09 pm

leeinfl wrote:what this printer can do with what is provided out of the box
tl;dr version:

Good results depend more on the operator's knowledge & skill than the printer's capabilities: unless you already have plenty of 3D printing expertise, you're at the start of a gnarly self-education process.

Too-long version:

Contrary to persistent media hype, consumer-grade 3D printing is not a point-and-click user experience, particularly for (what seems to be) a precision part used in a high temperature and pressure situation.

Getting good results requires not only a printer capable of precise alignment (which the M2 is), but also an operator who understands the interactions among:
  • Part requirements: what it must do
  • Part geometry: what it looks like
  • Model orientation: which end is up
  • Material properties: expansion, stability, chemicals
  • Platform: adhesion & release
  • Slicing: a myriad options!
  • And on and on
If past experience is any guide, new operators with a new printer produce great Yoda figurines and terrible precision parts made from exotic materials.

Fast-forwarding through a few weeks (or months) of pissing and moaning about the crappy software / hardware / firmware / materials up with which they must put (woe is them!) and they're now producing great parts that do exactly what's needed, having learned to work with (rather than against) the 3D printing production process to design, orient, slice, and print their parts.

Those folks become the experts around here. A few others continue to blame the printer for all their problems and wander off in disgust.

Your experience will vary, but I think it's fair to say that if it's possible to produce what you want, the M2 can print it … when you know enough to properly use all the tools required to make it happen.

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:12 pm

speed mean very little overall is just a stat for show honestly i always run much slower then i could for many reason

precision is another kind of fake number don't get me wrong M2 is very precise but that micro number is not really telling you the real story of what is the "real" precision i wouldn't worry too much about it

what really matter in a 3d printer is how solid it is, how easy it, the community around it, how flexible it is and last but not least how open source and how much u can actually hope to fix by yourself or modify with the little knowledge you may have

solidity M2 is the best honestly

easy to use is the only thing i wouldn't award top score BUT is getting better with each revision and is the focus of the company right now (i wish they would focus in making a bigger printing area ahahaha)

community i don't know other community but this one is really truly great

flexibility M2 eat any filament and i can really say is very flexible

and open source quality is truly the best as u can retrofit the first version of the machine of 5 year ago to the newest revision (even if they lack a bit of manual i guess but the community make up for it usually)

Honestly there are 2 or 3 decent 3d printer out there but M2 is for sure one of those 3 and u can't go wrong it's one of the smart choice if not the smartest
push that button ^_^ and join us :D

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:53 pm

There is so many info (as you can see) to convey the answer to you.

The M2 does have the ability to print materials that require up to 300c print temps. I would think that is very important for what you are talking about.

Print quality has almost if not more, to do with the settings you provide the printer as you make the stl file. That is only through experience does one gain that.

The settings vary based on the material you are printing, right down to the brand.

Each manufacturer has their own "formula" for making that material. So there is no 100% perfect settings for all materials.

Furthermore, based on the object that you are printing, there is also methods of achieving better prints based on orientation of the part, etc.

There M2 is more than capable, the real question comes down to the user, and how capable they are. There is a relatively large learning curve especially as you get into the more exotic materials.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:57 pm

I generally print parts that go into functional assemblies.
For me, dimensional accuracy is important. I want parts that print very closely to the modeled dimensions - both large and small features, inside and outside dimensions. It took me a while to get good, repeatable results, but I figured out a calibration process where I print a special calibration part, collect a number of measurements from it, and with those numbers I figure out the optimal X & Y scale factors and horizontal offset that will give me final part dimensions generally with in +/- .1mm (+/- .004") of the original model - often better than that.

Those variables are by no means universal. I do a calibration for every material variant I'm running, layer thickness, nozzle size, extruder multipliers, etc. It takes a little time and effort, but it's the nature of the process and not a weakness of the machine.

I have been very impressed with the M2 in the 10 months that I've had mine. It's versatile, flexible, repeatable, and builds parts as good as any other FDM machine I've seen - and better than most.