MIC 6 + PEI question

General discussion topics
NavyDT

MIC 6 + PEI question

Post by NavyDT » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:32 pm

Ello all,

tl:dr;

Do i need to secure the PEI sheet to the MIC 6 plate? or can i just lay it on top and use clamps

longer story...

So, i got my MIC 6 plate.... took some sand paper to the edges to clean it up a bit and polished one of the sides to remove any tooling that was there during the plate creation. I got a PEI sheet with an adhesive sheet from Gizmodorks on ebay... i say, this is probably going to be like putting on a screen protector. wipe the plate down with alcohol and make sure i dont touch anything, lay the adhesive on and yea, theres a bubble in the middle. i say "gee, a credit card should work in pushing that thing out..." get the credit card and proceed to tear the sheet in half :( cleaning that 3M adhesive off the plate was a huge pain in the #$@. i ended up using some old gasoline i had. but, now im out of an adhesive sheet. can i just lay it on top of the MIC 6 or do i need some adhesive?

3dPrintingMD

Re: MIC 6 + PEI question

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Yes you can do that.

MIC6 works great with hairspray.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

insta

Post by insta » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:58 pm

NavyDT wrote:Ello all,

tl:dr;

Do i need to secure the PEI sheet to the MIC 6 plate? or can i just lay it on top and use clamps

longer story...

So, i got my MIC 6 plate.... took some sand paper to the edges to clean it up a bit and polished one of the sides to remove any tooling that was there during the plate creation. I got a PEI sheet with an adhesive sheet from Gizmodorks on ebay... i say, this is probably going to be like putting on a screen protector. wipe the plate down with alcohol and make sure i dont touch anything, lay the adhesive on and yea, theres a bubble in the middle. i say "gee, a credit card should work in pushing that thing out..." get the credit card and proceed to tear the sheet in half :( cleaning that 3M adhesive off the plate was a huge pain in the #$@. i ended up using some old gasoline i had. but, now im out of an adhesive sheet. can i just lay it on top of the MIC 6 or do i need some adhesive?
You need an adhesive. The PEI is not, and will not, stay flat. Bubbles are (apparently) an unfortunately thing to contend with. You will need to either poke holes in the PEI, or remove and replace the adhesive.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Warpish materials will still try to warp on PEI - if it's not glued down it will move with the print. Even when it is stuck down with the 3M adhesive sheet it may still lift some with a robust part being printed on it. I haven't had it separate from the adhesive sheet, but I can see that it has been pressed down in the center of the part and lifted some around the center.

Unless your PEI sheet is very thick, clips around the edges won't be enough.

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Not to hi-jack this thread, but has anyone tried 1/4" PEI?
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:36 am

3dPrintingMD wrote:tried 1/4" PEI?
Given the thickness variations reported here for thin sheets, I'd be mildly surprised if a plate held ±0.1 mm flatness across the whole expanse. At $100/sheet, critical comments like this one on Amazon should give you pause: "none of these sheets are even remotely flat. I estimate variations +/- 1mm"