Wireless USB Transmitter for MakerGear M2?

General discussion topics
w22

Wireless USB Transmitter for MakerGear M2?

Post by w22 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:12 pm

I have my 3D Printer in my closet and my Mac in my living room which is about 50-100 feet away. Instead of running a super long USB cable into walkways, is there such a thing as a wireless USB transmitter to transmit the USB signal from the MakerGear M2 to the Mac?

Hugs

Re: Wireless USB Transmitter for MakerGear M2?

Post by Hugs » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:07 am

I don't know that such a device even exists but I'd recommend a Raspberry Pi 3 and OctoPrint. For $40, you essentially get that functionality plus a whole lot more.

There are things like USB over TCP/IP but you still need a computer on either side of the connection.

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:01 am

I have to +1 the recommendation to go with Raspberry Pi. For around $40 you can not only monitor your prints, but have complete control over the printer from ANY device. The best part is that I don't have to dedicate my high-horsepower Mac Pro to print, so I can use it for video editing, 3D modeling and other situations that require that kind of power. Sometimes I use my phone, other times I use my tablet, and sometimes my MacBook Pro. I can monitor and control my printer from ANYWHERE.

The RaspPi is so small that it fits between the electronics case and the Z motor, so having it connected to the printer doesn't add to the footprint at all, and it looks like it came from MakerGear that way. I use Printoid for my Android devices. After having finally switched to the RasPi, I regret having stalled for so long before setting it up. A few hours and the way I print has totally changed.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:00 pm

+2 for the pi as well