Combining .STL files

General discussion topics
theboz1419

Combining .STL files

Post by theboz1419 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:45 am

I have a customer that went to Georgia Tech and he wanted me to print a case for him using their colors of black and yellow. Well, I told him since I have already printed a case for his brother with the same two colors that I would try to make his case for his BBQ controller better then his brothers, so that he could have some bragging rights, lol.

What I like to do is add GT Buzz(Georgia Tech's mascot) to a yellow case as a cut-out. Then I want to print Buzz in black and inlay that in the cut-out.

I wish I could print in more then one color, but I don't have a dual, so thats not an option. I have been trying to figure out how to do cut-outs in meshmixer, but I am not getting any results.

So, my question is how do I this in meshmixer? Or is there a better way to add this logo to the case.

I have not tried to modify an STL before nor have I designed a STL from scratch yet, so I figure this would be a good learning project for me and it will give my customer bragging rights, until his brother contacts me again to have me do something similar with his BBQ controller which equals more sales for me.
Attachments
hm-case-43_20161029-25871-1p2854l-0.stl
Case
(239.61 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Small Black GT.stl
inlay
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 341 times
small GT.stl
cut-out
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 345 times
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

ednisley

Re: Combining .STL files

Post by ednisley » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:20 pm

theboz1419 wrote:how to do cut-outs
Can't help with the how-to, but remember to make the cut-out space larger than the inlay to avoid the holes-are-too-small and rounded-inner-corner problems.

However, simply enlarging the pattern you're removing by a scale factor doen't preserve the spacing between the features. Instead, you must outset the pattern's perimeter by (maybe) half a thread width perpendicular to the boundary; the exact outset depends on the usual 3D printing variables.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
You can do the simple cut out in tinkercad. (see example)

(sorry for the quick run through here I'm a little busy at the moment but here's the cliff note version.)
Import both stl's and lay them out how you want.
Select the emblem stl and then click hole feature in the inspector window.
Now hold shift and select both stls and then click group up top. It should cut the emblem out.

The way I did it the emblem doesn't get cut out through the entire part because this would leave unconnected parts. (it would be easier to make the emblem a complete cut out and then you can change the colors of the printed emblem inlet.)

I'm not sure how it would print with or without supports in those cutouts the way I did it and I'm also not sure how hard it would be to inlet the actual printed emblem afterwards.... but this is just one way to do it there might be better ways.

Edit - I didn't see the other stl, it is cut out better but not completely enough.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Untitled-3.jpg
This is how the cutout would look using the correct stl.
Untitled-4.jpg
With the insert as provided.

It might look a little weird as some areas a recessed were others are not. If you did a full outline cut out instead you could easily do a two color insert (using a color change) and it might look better over all.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks, I will play around with tinkercad, and hopefully post some results

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:01 am

Thanks sthone,

I think I have plan, If it turns out good I will post back. Its definitely going to be some work though

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Here's a slightly different solution for you using OpenSCAD:

Code: Select all

difference() {
    import("hm-case.stl", convexity=3);
    translate([50, 50, -1]) linear_extrude(height=10, convexity=10) {
        projection(cut=false) import("small GT.stl", convexity=4);
    }
}
Produces this:
Buzz.PNG
How did you create the original STLs? Kisslicer indicates some mesh errors. I tried to export the final result to attach here but OpenSCAD threw an error when rendering.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:48 am

The key to doing any of the Boolean functions in Meshmixer is to use the "make solid" function on all parts being used beforehand. So it is actually very simple. Edit>make solid>sharp edge preserve, accuracy to max, resolution around 260, update then accept. Do this on the part to be cut and the part to cut out. Then position the parts as needed, select the part to be cut, hold shift and select the part to be cut out, then edit>boolean difference.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:27 am

The .stl of the logo was found on thingverse. The case can also be found on thingverse, but I have been working with the author of the case for years building bbq controllers. The case probably has its faults, as I for one don't particularly care for it and I am using this as a learning experience, so that I can make my own improvements to the case, later down the road.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:48 pm

MagicEngineer wrote:The key to doing any of the Boolean functions in Meshmixer is to use the "make solid" function on all parts being used beforehand. So it is actually very simple. Edit>make solid>sharp edge preserve, accuracy to max, resolution around 260, update then accept. Do this on the part to be cut and the part to cut out. Then position the parts as needed, select the part to be cut, hold shift and select the part to be cut out, then edit>boolean difference.
I have been trying to do this tonight and I keep getting "fatal unknown fault........." when it's finished making the hole and I hit the accept button.