How to make my first 3D printer experience a smooth one!

General discussion topics
Expresso

How to make my first 3D printer experience a smooth one!

Post by Expresso » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:10 am

Like the title says, ideally, I would like my first experience with the printer to be a complete “plug and play” type of experience and keep it that way for an extended period of time (like months) before I need to get my hands dirty configuring things around.

That said, I was wondering if you guys could help me with the following questions:
  1. What filament type is the best to achieve this type of experience (ABS, PLA, etc)?
  2. Should I buy the filaments from MakerGear given that those filaments are probably optimized for the M2 printer or are there better filaments out there?
  3. Does filament color matter? I read that different colors have different properties and since I don’t really care about color at this time I would like to stick with the one that it is easier to work with….. although I may also want to use the transparent color in some cases but I won’t if it means it can cause problems.
  4. Is buying the “Simplify 3D” software a must to achieve the best experience? I am not completely sure of all the things that the software does.
  5. Does MakerGear provide optimal out-of-the-box printer settings for the different filament types they sell? I would prefer not to have to figure out optimal settings myself with a brand new printer.
  6. Do you guys have any tips and tricks that would help me keep the printer happy for as long as possible without having to mess around with software configurations, printer setups or maintenance?
  7. On a different topic. How many spools would you recommend to buy to start out with? I realize that there is no right or wrong answer given that the answer depends on a lot of factors but I have absolutely no idea how much you can get out of those spools so any little hint will really help me.
By the way, I am not necessarily afraid of tinkering around with the printer (although I would prefer there was no need to do any of that). It is just that I have some projects I will like to get done before I start tackling anything else.

Jules

Re: How to make my first 3D printer experience a smooth one!

Post by Jules » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Expresso wrote:Like the title says, ideally, I would like my first experience with the printer to be a complete “plug and play” type of experience and keep it that way for an extended period of time (like months) before I need to get my hands dirty configuring things around.

That said, I was wondering if you guys could help me with the following questions:

[*]What filament type is the best to achieve this type of experience (ABS, PLA, etc)?
Most folks start with PLA. If you do decide to switch to something like ABS, you need to use a cleaning filament to clean out your nozzle to keep clogs from happening. As long as you stick to one kind of filament though, you can start with anything you want, just make sure you clean the nozzle before switching to a different kind. Each one has different characteristics that it likes for printing, so it's a new learning curve every time you switch filaments.
[*]Should I buy the filaments from MakerGear given that those filaments are probably optimized for the M2 printer or are there better filaments out there?
Not a bad idea, at least at first. (Stick with the MG filaments.)
[*]Does filament color matter? I read that different colors have different properties and since I don’t really care about color at this time I would like to stick with the one that it is easier to work with….. although I may also want to use the transparent color in some cases but I won’t if it means it can cause problems.
White filament can be problematic. (Something to do with the additives in it to make it opaque I think. Black or any other color is usually pretty easy to print.)
[*]Is buying the “Simplify 3D” software a must to achieve the best experience? I am not completely sure of all the things that the software does.
I highly recommend it for a beginner. You can do it with the free software alternatives, but it's a lot easier with S3D.
[*]Does MakerGear provide optimal out-of-the-box printer settings for the different filament types they sell? I would prefer not to have to figure out optimal settings myself with a brand new printer.
For the most part, yes. You can always tweak a few things to get a slightly better print though, and you need to get used to the idea of tweaking, because it's not an exact science. Things like humidity and room temperature can have an impact on a print.
[*]Do you guys have any tips and tricks that would help me keep the printer happy for as long as possible without having to mess around with software configurations, printer setups or maintenance?
Lots of them. Read the Beginner's Guide. :D viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4711
[*]On a different topic. How many spools would you recommend to buy to start out with? I realize that there is no right or wrong answer given that the answer depends on a lot of factors but I have absolutely no idea how much you can get out of those spools so any little hint will really help me.
You'll run through the free spool learning. Get at least one more. Long term storage of lots of spools of filament can be a problem, because a lot of them are hydrophyllic. (You have to keep the humidity and damp away from them or it ruins the plastic and makes it brittle over time.)

ksevcik

Post by ksevcik » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Jules wrote:You'll run through the free spool learning. Get at least one more. Long term storage of lots of spools of filament can be a problem, because a lot of them are hydrophyllic. (You have to keep the humidity and damp away from them or it ruins the plastic and makes it brittle over time.)
You can pretty easily solve the storage problem for about $30:
Lowes paint department:
$4 5-gallon bucket
$8 sealing screw in lid for 5 gallon bucket
HobbyLobby:
$15 for 5lbs of silica gel
Dump about a pound of the silica gel in the bottom of the bucket, then put your spools on top and they should stay dry for quite a while.

atomic_peach

Post by atomic_peach » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:42 pm

I agree with Jules on all points, but here's my thoughts on a few of them as well.

Expresso wrote: 1. What filament type is the best to achieve this type of experience (ABS, PLA, etc)?
PLA is going to be easier to start as its temps are lower and more stable (no need for enclosures or anything special). Plus, while you learn and end up with failed prints, they're biodegradable! Yay Earth! Going to ABS isn't too difficult and there are plenty of discussions on how to succeed with any filament here.

Expresso wrote: 2. Should I buy the filaments from MakerGear given that those filaments are probably optimized for the M2 printer or are there better filaments out there?
They are selling filament that they trust to print well on the printer, so it is definitely a good purchase. I'm buying third party filament because I don't mind tweaking and tuning temps to match.

Expresso wrote: 3. Does filament color matter? I read that different colors have different properties and since I don’t really care about color at this time I would like to stick with the one that it is easier to work with….. although I may also want to use the transparent color in some cases but I won’t if it means it can cause problems.
I've also heard white can be more difficult, but I haven't had issues when working with a makerbot a few years back. I would argue white is less liked because it will show defects via shadows much more than any other color.

Expresso wrote: 4. Is buying the “Simplify 3D” software a must to achieve the best experience? I am not completely sure of all the things that the software does.
I bought S3D a few years ago when I managed a printer for my college, printing items for 300+ seniors' and juniors' design projects. I needed a reliable, tweakable, but ultimately fast program for slicing files so I could tweak supports and infills to get good print times. I absolutely love the program! The interface is easy to work with, the options are already set for the M2 but can still be tweaked, and it is unbelievable how quickly it can slice. You can get by with free software as it all does the same stuff, but I would happily buy the program again if I didn't already have a license.

Expresso wrote: 7. On a different topic. How many spools would you recommend to buy to start out with? I realize that there is no right or wrong answer given that the answer depends on a lot of factors but I have absolutely no idea how much you can get out of those spools so any little hint will really help me.
I wouldn't buy more than you would use in a year. You can always buy some and keep them wrapped, then store them as ksevcik mentioned. I plan to create some storage/feeder bins similar to those found through Google that hold 4-5 spools in an air-tight container, but with ports that allow the filament to be used while in the bin.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Not much to add except to say about your initial filaments. I use black, white, and clear (natural) PLA the most. I use colors the least. I use about 3-4 times as much black as anything.

You might use a roll a month, but I would not buy a years worth at a time, especially in PLA, as it can become brittle over time. Humidity can be an issue, but not much of one as some folks make it out to be. I don't use any of the exotic storage methods and have had no trouble. I have had bad rolls that were brittle or poorly extruded in the past, but nowadays filament is made better and as long as you stick to the well-known brands you are going to be fine. Get Makergear brand to start so if you have issues at last you won' have to question your filament.

Get the basics to start, learn the machine, then start adding in new filaments as you reorder the basic styles.

I would skip PET or flex or wood or anything else exotic for the first few rolls. They can get problematic for the new operator. Not that they are hard to print, but every filament has its own little tweakings, even changing between filaments can cause clogging if you don't do it right.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites