Printer parts and accessories.

General discussion topics
Expresso

Printer parts and accessories.

Post by Expresso » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:00 am

Hello,

1) Could someone tell me what spare fan the guy in the video is referring to (40 mm or 50 mm)? Video Link = https://youtu.be/7XcN-uDXoj4?t=12m20s

2) I noticed that MakerGear does not sell cleaning filaments, is it because such filaments could cause printer problems or is it because they are not really needed? I am specifically asking this because the printer warranty states that the hot-end is only covered when MakerGear filament and authentic MakerGear components are used. So if MakerGear does not sell cleaning filament I assume that it must be because most if not all of those filaments may damage the hot-end. Is that the case? I would't want to take the risk and mess something up.

3) In order to be prepared for the inevitable... Could someone tell me if there is a product that can be purchased from MakerGear to clean up the extruder assembly (nozzle, hot-end etc) in case of a clog? I saw videos where people use acetone and a torch but I wonder if there are other better alternatives? I browsed the MakerGear website and I was not able to find a product for sale that could be used for this purpose.

Thanks.

Jules

Re: Printer parts and accessories.

Post by Jules » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:37 am

1. It's a larger one so 50 mm. The other one is 40 mm. Get a spare of each if you have that model. They're not expensive. (If both your fans are 50 mm, get one of that size. Duals use two 50 mm fans.)

2. Buy eSun cleaning filament here: https://www.amazon.com/eSUN-CLEANING-Fi ... g+filament

3. Just buy a spare nozzle - they're inexpensive. You have to clear a clog based on what filament you have been printing that is stuck in the nozzle. (And sometimes that's a torch.) If you use the cleaning filament in between different types of filament, (PLA versus PETG or ABS), you won't get a clog. (Very rare to get a clog in a hotend.) :D

atomic_peach

Re: Printer parts and accessories.

Post by atomic_peach » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:52 am

1. He is pointing out the 50mm bed fan.

2. Cleaning filaments help clear out any residual filament in the hotend, which is mainly used between high and low temperature filaments (from PLA to ABS and back). This cleaning filament prevents clogs because the lower temp filaments can burn up and create carbon deposits if left in there and the higher temp filaments may not melt and thus block the nozzle. The cleaning filaments shouldn't have any negative effects on the hot end as it is nylon based from what I gather, probably including some solvents or low temp adhesives of sorts.

3. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2942 You can get the solvents at Home Depot in the chemical or paint thinners section.

Edit: Didn't see Jules' post while writing mine. Sorry for the duplicate info.