best software to print from a networked M2?

General discussion topics
3Dpas001

best software to print from a networked M2?

Post by 3Dpas001 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:04 am

Hello all,
I just got a M2 and I like to put the 3d printer on a wired network for remote printing. (raspberry pi 3 or a small stand alone nettop box running win10 or 7)
What would be the best 3d printing software to print from local to remote? what would be the best driver (win 10 or 7) for the M2 for local laptop or cpu?
Thanks
Pas

Hugs

Re: best software to print from a networked M2?

Post by Hugs » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Your best bet is a RaspberryPi 3 running OctoPrint. You can run it wired or wireless.

You don't need a lot of horsepower to do the actual printing as it's just serial communications feeding the G-code to the printer and receiving status from it.

3Dpas001

Post by 3Dpas001 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks @hugs does the M2 appear as a shared 3D printer device in window when set up with raspberry running Octoprint , so I can print from any computers?

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:37 pm

3Dpas001 wrote:does the M2 appear as a shared 3D printer device in window
No, the RaspberryPi becomes a server on your network that you connect to via its web interface. Or, you send files directly to it from your slicing software (Simplify3D, Repetier, Slic3r, etc.). It is not a shared printer in the same sense that a wireless laser printer or inkjet would exist on your network.

You didn't mention what software you use, but I use Slic3r. So in my Slic3r configuration, I enter the IP address of my RaspberryPi running OctoPrint:
Slic3r-setup2.PNG
Then from within Slic3r, I send the gcode directly:
Slicer-send-2-printer.PNG
Then, from the web interface in OctoPrint, I print it:
octo-cable-hanger.PNG

I can do this from any computer on my network with slicing software. And from any computer at all, I can open the web interface and control the printer.

3Dpas001

Post by 3Dpas001 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks @Hugs for the detailed post. I can see you have a dual extruder M2. same as the one I ordered.
I'm new to 3D print and I probably will be using Simplify3D but not exclusive.
I really would like a set up like a desktop printer on my network. there is extra steps with Octoprint but not that hard.
I tried to install Windows 10 IoT Core because it have a driver for the MakerGear M2 but it's win 10 exclusive access.
and the windows update failed the upgrade on restart (Raspberry pi3 B) .
Microsoft has the Makergear M2 driver app ready for Windows 10 IoT Core
so why not this app could install for a regular low watts dedicated nettop cpu format running a stripped down Windows 10.
and our M2 will appear as "device printer"
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -printers-
Best
Pas

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:25 pm

3Dpas001 wrote:I probably will be using Simplify3D but not exclusive.
Someone with S3D will have to confirm, but it is probably not compatible with the Windows printer driver in this way.
3Dpas001 wrote: so why not this app could install for a regular low watts dedicated nettop cpu format running a stripped down Windows 10.
and our M2 will appear as "device printer"
I read the links you added and it appears to me that this type of printing feature is only available for use with Microsoft's "3D Builder" software and some other applications.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this type of configuration. Maybe someone else here can help you further with that method.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:56 pm

You can install S3D on your remote computer that is hooked directly to the M2 and use screen sharing to access it over the network.

I use an old Mac mini directly hooked up and wired to the network to run the M2. I use either screen sharing (from a remote desktop), iTeleport (remote ipad/iphone/desktop), and/or KVM switch when working on the "work" computer at the design desk where the M2/Mac Mini is just a few feet away.

Many ways to skin a cat.

I also have a Raspi running Octoprint on my large format 3d printer/laser engraver. I like it OK, but my favorite is the M2 and dedicated computer with S3D installed.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

3Dpas001

Post by 3Dpas001 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:02 am

willnewton wrote:You can install S3D on your remote computer that is hooked directly to the M2 and use screen sharing to access it over the network.

I use an old Mac mini directly hooked up and wired to the network to run the M2. I use either screen sharing (from a remote desktop), iTeleport (remote ipad/iphone/desktop), and/or KVM switch when working on the "work" computer at the design desk where the M2/Mac Mini is just a few feet away.

Many ways to skin a cat.

I also have a Raspi running Octoprint on my large format 3d printer/laser engraver. I like it OK, but my favorite is the M2 and dedicated computer with S3D installed.
Thanks, that another good option, since I have only one printer I will try each to see the best environment.