What Is Wrong?

General discussion topics
Neep

What Is Wrong?

Post by Neep » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 am

Was messing around with Simplify3D settings and now all my prints are like this. I changed the layer height but had changed it back... seems almost like Simplify3D isn't recognizing that I changed it back.

Thoughts?

jsc

Re: What Is Wrong?

Post by jsc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Looks almost like a mechanical issue on your Y axis. Check the Y belt tension?

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:28 pm

that's also what parts start to look like when they are getting too hot and heat soaked. is your bed fan coming on. depending on how its printed, the layer time on that part is going to be fairly low once it gets up past the base so possibly not enough cooling time before it goes to the next layer. be sure your bed fan is turning on.

Neep

Post by Neep » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Ok, thanks for the input. I am only printing at 208/200 (and this is PLA). I did reduce the temp somewhat and it got better. Still a bit of this though. Will play with the settings a bit. What temp do most people print PLA? I am seeing some pretty high temps (like 220) on the forums.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:18 pm

I print PLA at from 200-205°, so your 208 is not unreasonably high. (The lower you can go with PLA though, the better off your prints will be, so you could try taking it down a few and see if it looks any better.)

Neep

Post by Neep » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Ok thanks for the input. I set the check box in Simplify3D to turn the fan on for layer prints of <45 seconds and that seems to have helped a lot.

You all rock! :)

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Just to clarify a detail based on your last post to make sure you have fully addressed the problem.

For PLA, the nozzle fan needs to run for EVERY layer except the first one, not just layers that take less than 45 seconds. PLA rewards good cooling with very crisp detailing, that is why you see a lot of multiple nozzle fan setups on some printers.

I run 215° C on layer one with no fan (the bed will suck the excess heat out) then 210° C after layer two with the nozzle fan and the bed temp at 50° C.

If you are having layer adhesion issues with the fan on, you may find yourself bumping the heat 5° C or so as needed.

Another detail is that many users have fan ducts installed, which may also affect temps. I have one and the extra cooling power from the duct usually requires a bit higher print temp than you might see on a stock machine to keep the layers sticking to each other well. That may be why you are seeing some 5-10° bumps past the recommended PLA temps.

The nozzle temp is a bit of a flexible number depending on your machine, print settings, and environment. The need for a fan after layer one is not! ;)
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites