In the middle of a enclosure build, need some advice

General discussion topics
Fusion916

In the middle of a enclosure build, need some advice

Post by Fusion916 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:46 am

So I'm half way through a enclosure build for my M2 for better abs printing just using parts from home depot and frys. Basic wood enclosure with plexiglass door with lighting, nothing too fancy. I did buy a 120mm computer case fan for the exhaust to put at the top but I was wondering if that fan size was too big and would cause my enclosure to cool down too much? Should I install a 40mm fan instead? Also what should the cfm rating be? Right now I did not buy any temperature control for the box. I'm just going to finish the enclosure for now and see what the temps stabilize at naturally and see if the prints come out better. If I did however want to add temperature control what would you recommend? Never tried to temperature control an enclosure before so I would not know where to start.

theboz1419

Re: In the middle of a enclosure build, need some advice

Post by theboz1419 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 pm

I went to Amazon and picked up an AC infinity air plate T3 $50. It's for electronic cabinets. The highest setting is 110°f and it usually holds the temp around 105°. Very simple to install and it comes with templates to cut the holes.

My first enclosure, I went the route you are going, but it turned out to be more hassle and waste of money. It was a waste because my skills at building enclosures were not that good and I needed to go back to the drawing board and start over.

But, boy am I glad I did. Ikea is the way to go, they have a nice enclosure that I want to get http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/59046666/

It's a tad expensive and you would need to also get a door from Ikea and then a removable plexiglass top cut for it. I got a smaller Ikea cabinet and my printer sits sideways. It's not to bad and it works for me. But, I am thinking of getting the bigger enclosure, if my wife let's me.

Here is a pic of my enclosure

Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks for the insight. I have already gone past the point of no return (time and money) on my custom enclosure so I will be sticking with it. Any insight on the ventilation fan? 120mm vs 40mm? CFM?

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 am

My temperature controller:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OX ... UTF8&psc=1

My heaters:
https://www.amazon.com/Floureon-200W-In ... 00RGNJD9S/
I have two of these with the flat face pointing up. I have a pair of 80mm fans blowing down on them. Keeps the air moving in the enclosure.
My exhaust fan is at the bottom, because I didn't want to be losing all my hot air through the idle fan. The fan is 80mm and manages to control the heat. The coolest I've attempted to run so far is 35C, but I might be trying lower in the near future. For ABS I've been having good results at 50C.

My enclosure is made from 1" foil faced insulation foam, and when printing the heaters rarely kick on - usually just the fan.
I will probably post another update to my enclosure thread next week. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4864

Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 pm

OK guys, box is complete and my first prints have come out.

My prints are a lot better than no enclosure, but aren't perfect yet. With no insulation and no fan (haven't installed the fan yet) the temp gets to about 100F inside while printing. Is this hot enough? If not, what should the ambient temperature inside the enclosure be while printing? After printing, should I just let it sit until the enclosure becomes room temperature?

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:09 am

I've been running 50C for ABS. I haven't found heat to benefit PETG. My last build was 30C and it was better than those run at higher temps. I've done plenty at 40C and 50C, but I think I'll be backing down for PETG. The issue was lifting/curling in a sharp corner with a 45 degree overhang. ePC also has run at 50C and that's been good.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:36 pm

I run with a temp of 105° for ABS and get great result printing on PEI. I make cases for my customers and recently went to a new version that had tons of issues printing with the stock bed, and everything I could think of to help with warping in the corners. Not until I went to PEI with a bed temp of atleast 90°, did I finally got perfectly flat parts.

I don't think enclosure temp is that important, as long as its constant.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers