TIPS ABOUT HOW TO GET MORE OUT OF THIS FORUM

General discussion topics
Tshulthise

TIPS ABOUT HOW TO GET MORE OUT OF THIS FORUM

Post by Tshulthise » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm

I like all the options this forum offers compared to the Google Group but I found myself missing a lot of posts since, when using the default settings, it does not automatically notify you of new posts. Here are some tips that help. Feel free to post your own tips also.

1. Notify me when a reply is posted - When posting or reading a topic there a "Notify me when a reply is posted" check box at the bottom under "Options". Check that box if you want to get email notifications for that topic. The default is set to NOT notify you and I haven't seen a way to be notified about posts except manually checking this for specific topics and posts.
2. Subscribe forum - You can do something similar for the various forums by going into a forum such as "General Discussion" then at the bottom left click on "Subscribe forum" to get email notifications for posts in that forum.
3. Managing subscriptions - To manage all of these subscriptions in one place without having to go to each one to check and uncheck boxes just go to the top left of the Board index page and click "User Control Panel" then under the "Overview" tap look for "Manage Subscriptions". If you have subscribed to any posts or forums it will be obvious how this page works.
4. User Control Panel - The User control panel (near top left) has several options such as seeing attachments you've added, manage bookmarks you've made of topics, see board stats for most active topics, etc...
5. Friends - Under "User Control Panel" "Friends and Foes" tab you can type in friends names from the forum and it will highlight their posts as you read through.
6. Advanced Search - The Advanced Search function (upper right) gives you a lot more flexibility than the Google Group to search by topic, author, date, in subject line, etc...

Tshulthise

Re: TIPS ABOUT HOW TO GET MORE OUT OF THIS FORUM

Post by Tshulthise » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:51 pm

To see all members on this board at once go to "Members" in the upper right

There you can see all members of the forum and if you click on their name you can see any profile information they've filled out so far. There are also links to send members messages there. You can also click to see all of a particular member's posts or even search for specific things within their posts.

This gives you a feel for why this forum is better than Google Groups overall.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:12 pm

If you click "MakerGear" in the title of the blue box on the front page, you get a much more useful listing of all the most recent threads with activity.

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:55 pm

jsc wrote:If you click "MakerGear" in the title of the blue box on the front page, you get a much more useful listing of all the most recent threads with activity.
That's much better. Thx!