The State of the Gear

General discussion topics
rpollack

The State of the Gear

Post by rpollack » Tue May 02, 2017 7:42 pm

3D Printing has changed considerably since MakerGear launched in 2009. We were hand-making extruder parts for hobbyists, then it was on to reprap printer kits, then it was the plywood Mosaic, and then in April, 2012 it was the M2. Happy fifth anniversary to the M2! We’ve come a long way baby!

But a lot has changed over the years including Desktop 3D printing is now mainstream. The technology is everywhere - homes, schools, business, factories - and all over the world. In 2009 we were makers, today we are a manufacturer operating on a global scale. We did this by focusing on producing a quality product and supporting our customers. Thank you for your support and making this possible. And, we did this organically without any outside investment. And, we primarily manufactured our products in the USA.

It’s been a great run.

But, given how many machines are on the market today and how many low cost machines are coming from overseas, it’s clear that we can’t continue to operate the way we’ve been operating. We need to do an even better job!

And, that starts tomorrow. Be sure to check out the website. And, if you are not yet a member of the MakerGear community, this is a fresh opportunity to join in.

We’ll also be doing a national tour starting Monday with the Manufacturing & Technology show in Cleveland. Then, Rapid in Pittsburgh, Eastec (near-ish to Boston) with Rippl3D, and, for the first time, we’ll be at the Bay Area Maker Faire. I’ll be attending M&T on Monday, Rapid and possibly Maker Faire. Stop by and chat!

We’ve been working on this a long time and I very much hope that you are pleased with the result.

The next phase of MakerGear begins tomorrow…

Rick

sthone

Re: The State of the Gear

Post by sthone » Tue May 02, 2017 9:18 pm

:shock: DON"T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!

My heart dropped halfway through reading that...

then it started beating fast...

can't wait to see what's next for you guys.

Greg_FL

Post by Greg_FL » Tue May 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Super excited to see what is in store!! The quality and reliability of the M2 is unmatched in my opinion and has been the best technological purchase I have ever made.

Greg

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Wed May 03, 2017 12:43 am

Holy crap..

If tomorrow is a reveal of an enclosed machine with a larger build volume and dual semi-independent extruders I'm gonna shit myself.

KiddingMe

Post by KiddingMe » Wed May 03, 2017 2:48 am

I'm excited for a new generation of makergear printers...just hope it doesn't make my m2 too obsolete.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed May 03, 2017 5:17 am

Panic, then joy, then anticipation. Its an emotional roller coaster here tonight kids.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Makergear M3!!!

Looks like M2's will be upgradable?

:D

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Wed May 03, 2017 1:50 pm

I am definitely interested in upgrading to the new dual independent X drive setup.

sideshowtony

Post by sideshowtony » Wed May 03, 2017 2:32 pm

D'OH! If only I'd waiting an extra month and a half before buying the M2!!!!!! BOOOOOOO! :-)

sprior

Post by sprior » Wed May 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Farr0wn3d wrote:Holy crap..

If tomorrow is a reveal of an enclosed machine with a larger build volume and dual semi-independent extruders I'm gonna shit myself.
Looks like it's about to get messy around here...