The State of the Gear

General discussion topics
sprior

Re: The State of the Gear

Post by sprior » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Just noticed that there are new repositories on the Makergear GitHub site related to OctoPrint and their Octoprint plugin. I won't get time to poke around with this for a couple of weeks, but I'm hoping that plugin will be useful with my M2 upgraded with Z max zeroing and 4 point spider.

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:48 pm

I just installed the OctoPrint plugin and two quick notes for anyone wanting to try it out:
  1. If you have the Cyborg Theme plugin..disable it. If you don't, you'll get black text on a black background. It also changes some UI colors to orange.
  2. I didn't poke around on how to skip it, but as soon as you install the MG plugin and restart OctoPrint, it will automatically start the "Quick Check" process.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Does the MG Octoprint Plugin offers any functionality for M2 users who are already running Octoprint? I haven't done a search for the plug to see if it's out in the open.

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm

zemlin wrote:Does the MG Octoprint Plugin offers any functionality for M2 users who are already running Octoprint?
The obvious big thing is being able to set starting height and level the bed from within OctoPrint. Leveling with the plugin is a different method using an interesting print pattern instead of just the feeler gauge. I didn't try to go through the whole thing since I'm already dialed in but it may be worth checking it out.

I'm happy to keep using the Quick Start standalone app for that.

The other main thing is he helps set up OctoPi itself (e.g. wifi setup and SD card expansion).
zemlin wrote: I haven't done a search for the plug to see if it's out in the open.
It's on GitHub. URL to paste into the OctoPrint plug-in manager's "...fromURL" box: https://github.com/MakerGear/MakerGear_ ... master.zip

Someone should may want to start a thread in the "Software" section to gather input from those who haven't seen it until now. I have a few observations I'd like to share.

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:52 pm

sthone wrote:From what I read the leveling software prints some kind of zigzag pattern in the four corners and ask whether you can peal it off in a single piece or strands... I guess this is how they tell if its too close or too far away. (no more feller gauges I'm guessing) The person who tried it though thought the leveling was all software controlled but they didn't have to adjust anything and they didn't see any leveling screws on the bed. I'm guessing you still have to adjust the four corner screws though because they are still there from what I've seen.

As far as the fan goes the new fan shroud is a printed piece (and weird looking I might add) but it mounts to an extended version of the hotend mount so it's not going to work on the M2's without making you own mount or buying the M3 mount piece. Here's a picture. I'm not so sure about it though I like to be able to see the hot end and it looks like it blocks the view pretty good... I'm going hold off final judgement until I get my hands on the STL and give it a try though.

-Steve

Excellent picture, I have been looking for a picture like that. I would think that a bracket would be made to accomplish that.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

jjl1

Post by jjl1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:48 pm

I've been playing around with the Octoprint plugin for the last couple days and it does add functionality to the M2. I like it but it is version 1 software and not specifically for the M2, so there are a few issues.
It allows you to load and unload filament (ABS and PLA) from Octoprint, No need to hook up you computer to the USB port. It also has a nicer Z offset and bed leveling routine, IMO. There is not an obvious way to do a cool down after the loading and unloading. At least I could not find one (orange button) so I just used brute force.
The zigzag print pattern only works with PLA as far as I can tell. I am currently setup with ABS and tried running the utility at the higher temperatures and it would not work.
It also seems more stable. Not that I had many problems with my old Octoprint setup but this version seems to be quicker or more responsive. Just my impression. It is not clear to me why they separate the "setup" tab and the "maintenance" drop down but It's not an issue once you know it is there
It will be great if some of the software folks put a little more time into this and tune it for the M2 community.

jjl1

Post by jjl1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:45 am

As a follow on to the previous post, I made several more attempts to get through the "Quick Check" part of the M3 Octoprint plugin on my M2v4. Everything works well until I get to the "zigzag" printing. It simply won't print it. I tried everyway I could think of to get it to work but now I'm wondering if I just don't have the gcode loaded. 'The button is there to Proceed when the bed and extruder are up to temp (I tried with ABS and PLA). The button turns grey like it is going to do something, or at least it sees the command, but nothing happens.
I think it would be really great to get this part of the program to work because it may help when trying new plastics and getting all the parameters tweaked. Maybe someone out there with way more experience with Octoprint and plugins can figure it out. it is tantalizingly close!