Disastrous print failure

General discussion topics
mlennox81

Disastrous print failure

Post by mlennox81 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 am

So I've never seen this happen before, maybe some of you more experienced have though. Left my place with a print running and came home to this

At first I thought it was a nozzle clog but then I found the culprit, a lose wire on the thermistor

It seems this made simplify3D turn off the nozzle heat but keep chugging away driving the extruder motor. Apparently rather than just the gear stripping out the filament the motor mount just split in half from the force. Tried re-soldering the wire and now I get a temperature reading in simplify but when I try and turn the heat on it turns itself off after about 2 seconds. Guess its time to order a new extruder and a metal motor mount :( (although perhaps I can fire up the CNC for that part :D )

Oh and just incase anyone was wondering I don't have the extruder gear taking that big a bite out of the filament either

insta

Re: Disastrous print failure

Post by insta » Fri May 12, 2017 10:07 pm

That's a pretty impressive failure, but I'd bet your mount was already cracked. The printed ones do eventually wear out from the stress of repeated retractions and develop stress fractures. The firmware will stop extruding at 170C, but many plastics will stop flowing before that happens, and the motor is certainly strong enough to wreak havoc before the plastic strips out.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

rpollack

Re: Disastrous print failure

Post by rpollack » Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Yikes! Sorry to see that. We replaced the printed motor mount with a metal mount a while ago. The metal mount is available on the website.

Rick