Raspberry Pi Network Printing

General discussion topics
RBrouillette

Raspberry Pi Network Printing

Post by RBrouillette » Wed May 24, 2017 4:28 pm

If I purchase the Raspberry Pi 3, connect it to my network, and use Octoprint, will I be able to print with any computer on the network? Hypothetically, would I be able to print while in another state?

insta

Re: Raspberry Pi Network Printing

Post by insta » Wed May 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Yes. The interface is a webpage.

You have to forward ports outside your router (or run your own VPN), since there's no cloud functionality built into OctoPrint. Without doing that, you can only use it inside your network.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

nickpeck41

Post by nickpeck41 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:28 pm

RBrouillette wrote:If I purchase the Raspberry Pi 3, connect it to my network, and use Octoprint, will I be able to print with any computer on the network? Hypothetically, would I be able to print while in another state?
Yes you can but there is a decent amount of setup that is required to get it to work (like what insta mentions in his post). However, via octoprints site, there are some great guides on github explaining the entire process. Another image that works pretty good is the Astrobox program which has all of that built right in and works fine. All you do is sign up for a free online account and you can view / remote right into your pie through that.

I have been messing with that and it's pretty nice and easy to use. Octoprint is great as well of course, but there is more setup involved, but like anything, once it's done it works great.

RBrouillette

Post by RBrouillette » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Appreciate the help guys!