Forum Settings

General discussion topics
Toby

Re: Forum Settings

Post by Toby » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm having trouble attaching files to posts. It accepted a .jpg file, but I couldn't attach an .fff file or a .txt file or a file with no extension. I get the message that the file extension isn't valid. Can this be changed somewhere in the forum settings? Be nice to attach .fff and .factory files to posts.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:14 pm

testing a zipped upload.

-update.On a PC you can compress the file into a .zip file and upload.
-update2. On a Mac you can also compress and upload a .zip

So if you can't upload the format you want directly, then just .zip it up and upload the attachment.
Attachments
jesseD.jpg.zip
This is a test of a Mac zipped pic of the dog
(32.48 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
beerknob.zip
This is a test of PC .stl file zipped up
(20.77 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:17 am

willnewton wrote:So if you can't upload the format you want directly, then just .zip it up and upload the attachment.
Nice trick. That should get us up and running with different attachments.

I'm still hoping there's a forum setting that will allow us to upload .fff and .factory and .stl and whatever else we need without the extra steps of zipping and unzipping

sprior

Post by sprior » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:21 am

Rick, I think you can probably allow a few more file extensions to be posted as aattachments. I'd suggest at least .fff, .factory, .gcode, .g, .stl and I'm sure you can come up with a few more that make sense.

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Anyone know how to set automatic emails that summarize new posts or replies to posts?

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:04 pm

It would also be good if you could check the box that allows the post# to be displayed in threads. It is great to be able to refer someone to post "#199 in the Tips thread". You can use this info to link to a specific post that may be buried deep in another thread.

It's not so important now, but will be very important as this forum is populated and threads start to run 1000 posts long.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites