Print bed heat-up time

General discussion topics
bratan

Print bed heat-up time

Post by bratan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Is it normal for printbed to take 10 minutes to warm up to 80C?
Could something be wrong with my machine?
I have Prusa i3 MK2s and it takes under 3 minutes with bigger bed and only 12V supply... :?:

jk42

Re: Print bed heat-up time

Post by jk42 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm

You could try running a PID autotune. That may help
"PID autotune

To perform an automatic tuning of the PID parameters, send the manual gcode command M303. This will start heating the nozzle up to 150°C. Once it reaches 150°C, it will iterate through some changes to the P, I and D values. After several cycles, it will cool down and echo out the values that it found, as P* I* D*. Send the command "M301 P* I* D*", where * is the value echoed earlier. Then set the nozzle temperature to your standard printing temperature, and observe the heating behavior. If the new profile works well for you, you can save those settings to EEPROM with the gcode command M500."

~Jason from MakerGear

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 pm

bratan wrote:printbed to take 10 minutes to warm up to 80C
Unfortunately, that's about right.

Unlike many printers, the M2 has a glass printing plate clamped atop an aluminum sheet with the heating pad bonded its the bottom. The combined mass of the two plates takes quite a while to heat up and the small air gap between the glass and aluminum is, unfortunately, a pretty good insulator.

You can add an insulating pad below the heater, but it really won't improve the results by very much.

If you have an old-old M2 with a 12 V heater, check the platform heater connections on the RAMBo board for overheating, because they were prone to cooking. Unplug the connectors and take a look inside to verify there's no corrosion or charring going on.

PID Autotune applies only to the nozzle heater and won't do anything for the platform.

bratan

Post by bratan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Ah I see, thanks guys! I didn't realize plate was aluminum for some reason I thought it was FR-4.
No problem, I guess I'll just have to live with it. Machine is amazing tho, real workhorse! S