PLA curling up from bed

General discussion topics
sprior

Re: PLA curling up from bed

Post by sprior » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 pm

I've only been printing for a couple of weeks so I'm still trying to read the signs and figure things out. Also a week in I switched from Slic3r to S3D. Things were going so well on the smaller stuff that I tried this bigger item thinking it was simple and needed no supports, but the bed adhesion issue came back I guess.

I'll try picking up one of those Elmer's Disappearing Purple Glue Sticks I've heard such good things about.

Thanks for the help.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Toby wrote:oh wait jin's order was in increasing strength.
Yes.
Toby wrote:that's odd because the one and only time I tried painters tape I could not get the part off it.
Approximate order; I don't have much experience with painter's tape. I tried it a few times, too fussy for me. Give me glop I can paint or spray on any day.

sprior

Post by sprior » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 pm

I actually like the texture of a part on painters tape much better than the smooth finish you get with glass, and I used this for the first weekend while I was waiting for a replacement thermister which was preventing bed heat from working, but not using the heated bed seemed like a waste of an expensive feature and replacing the painters tape and adjusting the Z offset seemed like more of a fuss.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:14 pm

sprior wrote:I'll try picking up one of those Elmer's Disappearing Purple Glue Sticks I've heard such good things about.
You'll be wanting some sort of print lifter, too, then. Chisel, razor, etc.

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:14 pm

I printed large parts (in x and y) right of the bat and had no curling. but after a week or two the same parts started curling. that's why i suspect something to do with how clean the glass is.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Toby wrote:Boy you have to be quick on this board. I took a few minutes to edit my post and pretty much everything I had to say was already covered in the meantime.
Yep. I just looked, and all the people who posted on this thread are currently online! Gotta love a dedicated, active community! Wish I could get folks in my city riled up to fix and paint and mow. We're probably all too busy on internet forums (fora?)... ;-)

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:27 pm

You can add tabs on the corners of your part model that are around 1/2" to 1" diameter and 5 layers thick. That will also help hold the corners down and you can easily trim them off when the part is finished. Some geometries are harder to hold down than others.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 pm

And in Simplify3D 2.1, as jimc pointed out in another thread, you can keep those rabbit ear models around as separate files and drop them into any print that needs them!

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Dale Reed wrote: Gotta love a dedicated, active community! Wish I could get folks in my city riled up to fix and paint and mow. We're probably all too busy on internet forums (fora?)... ;-)
Just wait a couple of years and we'll have fixerbots and painterbots and mowerbots to do all that stuff.

sprior

Post by sprior » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:06 am

Goofing around some more today I'm trying to print a boat shape. There is very little of it touching the bed, it's almost entire up on support. After just a few mm I'm noticing that the boat shape is pulling up higher than the level of the support around it, so I stopped the print. There seems to be no issue with bed adhesion, it was all stuck down fine. I'm using Simplify3D for slicing and printing the model in PLA.
2014-04-20 19.57.52.jpg
2014-04-20 19.57.52.jpg (183.93 KiB) Viewed 11331 times
Any clues how to address this?