filler for pla

General discussion topics
sonra

filler for pla

Post by sonra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi guys
After a print sometimes i use the dremel rotary tool to clean the support ( after I use the pliers ) and If i am careful the dremel remove to much
What do you advice to fill the damage? ( I print only PLA )
Regards Doron

willnewton

Re: filler for pla

Post by willnewton » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:28 pm

I recommend that you not use a Dremel. It is too aggressive, as you have seen . Just a small file or sandpaper does well to smooth things out.

Also, you may want to get a small set of flush cutting pliers and an Xacto to use for removing supports. They do a cleaner job than a Dremel.

Next would be to adjust your support spacing, so they will break away easier and don’t require a Dremel!

You can sometimes melt a little PLA to fill a hole, but it is not easy to repair PLA damage, unless you are going to paint it. You could also try a heavy epoxy coating, such as XTC3D. Generally, you have to just be more careful.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 pm

I control how support breaks away by adjusting overall layer thickness. If support doesn't snap right off, increase your layer height a little. .1mm can make a significant difference. Don't increase it too much or the build on top of your support will get ugly.

sonra

Post by sonra » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks for your help
Doron