plugging in the USB during print from SD card

General discussion topics
airscapes

plugging in the USB during print from SD card

Post by airscapes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:55 am

So I needed my laptop for another project and I had read you could start your print from SD card and unplug the usb cable..
I did not remember reading that plugging that USB cable back in 3 hours into the print would stop the printer cold ..
Was there a way to recover from that other than pulling up my 6, 1/3 done prints and starting over?? :cry:

Gwhite

Re: plugging in the USB during print from SD card

Post by Gwhite » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Not that I know of. I had several early prints that mysteriously died overnight before I figured out the USB hiccups when the PC goes to sleep. I have the LCD controller, and print using the SD card interface in that. Things may be a little different if you are using the built in SD card slot, but it sounds like the same problem.

I finally put a USB switch between the computer and the printer. That way I can disconnect the computer easily before running a print job (which may not be an option with the internal SD card). I found out the hard way that any change on the computer end can kill a print job. Going to sleep, waking up, powering off etc. Even then, sometimes hitting the USB switch to disconnect will confuse it and I will have to reset the printer. At least (if I remember to flip the switch before the job starts), it doesn't trash an active print.

airscapes

Re: plugging in the USB during print from SD card

Post by airscapes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks that is what I had figured.. Normally not an issue but I needed that particular laptop which does not normally happen.. The disconnect works, just can't plug it in until it is done.

Have a good weekend!