Forum Upgrade

General discussion topics
Josh
Site Admin

Forum Upgrade

Post by Josh » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Update 5/3:

Forum upgrade complete. As before, please let us know (in this post, via PM or email) of any issues you encounter with the forum going forward.

One significant change is the new board style; we know some people will prefer the old style, so it's still available: in your User Control Panel (now under your login name in the top right corner), under "Board preferences", you can select "prosilve_unskinned" as your board style to get the old style back. See the screenshot below for information. It will still look a _bit_ different overall due to the new phpBB version, though.

Thank you all again for your patience during this upgrade.

2018-05-03 08_24_15-MakerGear Forum - User Control Panel - Edit global settings.png

_-_-_-_-_
It will come as no surprise to some of you that our forum software is on the older side, and in need of an update. While the current system has worked fine for years, there are updates (security and functionality) that we're missing out on, and right now new members can't even register without administrator intervention due to reCaptcha v1 being retired.

So - we're upgrading the forum to the latest phpBB version. This will allow us to enable reCaptcha v2, so new users can register (and hopefully fewer spam accounts will get through!), as well as put us in a better place for updates going forward.

This is a fairly significant change, however we'll try to be minimally disruptive. We are currently planning on starting the full upgrade at 10PM EST, Wednesday May 2nd. So from 10PM EST 5/2 to 10AM EST 5/3, expect some amount of delay or disruption, possibly including the forum being completely unavailable.

After 10AM EST 5/3 (or once I make an update post saying the process is complete), please let us know of any bugs, errors, issues, missing content/icons/etc. that you run into while using the forum.

We have a testing version of the new forum setup right now - anyone who would like to help us test it, to ensure the new version is as solid as possible, please PM or email me. It currently has a clone of the main forum state from about a week ago; all data in the testing forum will be deleted before the upgrade.

willnewton

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by willnewton » Fri May 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Josh, can you please re-enable “Read new posts” and “Read unanswered posts”.

I do not have time to search every subforum in this forum for new posts and count on those features to find out what is going on and who has been left behind quickly.

Thanks
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Fri May 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Will, it looks like those are now under the "Quick Links" menu in the top menu header - "New posts" and "Unanswered topics" are both in there. I checked through all the board settings and didn't see anything specifically mentioning those two features, though I did find some phpBB extensions talking about them; so, if those aren't what you're talking about, there are some options.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri May 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Hah, did not even notice that. That is it!

I am an admin on a phpBB forum as well, but it runs underneath a software package provided by the hosting service. I went to go check there, but we don’t have that drop down available to us.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Fri May 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Yeah, it's definitely new in the latest phpBB forum that we just upgraded to. I'm still learning my way around too X)

I'm glad no functionality was lost, though still do let us know if you find anything else that's unclear or not accessible.

M3Jim

Post by M3Jim » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi Josh,

I just returned after a long time away (been very busy). I just wanted to say that I think the new board looks very nice. I hope the functionality meets everyone's requirements, since it looks much better, IMHO.

Have a great day,
Jim