Removing PLA Prints from Glass Bed?

General discussion topics
jakepolson71

Removing PLA Prints from Glass Bed?

Post by jakepolson71 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:54 am

I'm having a helluva time getting prints off of the glass on the bed when using blue painters tape. Just had to order a replacement piece because I shattered the original trying to remove a printed piece. I've looked and looked, but having a hard time finding any info about removing a print. Everyone seems to be more concerned with getting them to stick, which is just the opposite of my issue.

Anyone have any advice?

Jake
Thanks,
Jake

ketil

Re: Removing PLA Prints from Glass Bed?

Post by ketil » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:23 pm

This is part of the reason why I don't use tape and print directly on hot clean glass. I find tape tears off almost every print and sticks to the part. Too much maintenance and bother for me :)

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:15 pm

I had the same problem when I tried the blue painters tape. Once was enough for me and after that I switched to hairspray, end then to diluted elmers brushed and rolled on. Since then I have not had any issues- PLA parts stick, don't warp, and are removable.

There's a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of different methods on the old google groups board. You might want to search the archives there:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/makergear

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:14 pm

If using tape and it's not coming off, try removing the tape along with the object. Even that can be difficult. You want to pry it free rather than trying to torque it loose, using something sharp and flat. Also for PLA, popping it in the freezer for a few minutes seems to help a little bit.

jakepolson71

Post by jakepolson71 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks folks! Think I'll try the glue stick method next. Blue Tape is just too much of a hassle.
Thanks,
Jake