M2: The indestructible

General discussion topics
Tim

M2: The indestructible

Post by Tim » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm

I just wanted to share a little testimonial here. . .

The photo is of a MakerGear M2 that I bought second-hand and donated to the local high school (Poolesville), which has an excellent science and math magnet program that I felt ought to be teaching kids about 3D printing technology on a regular basis.

I donated this printer over two years ago. Being used as part of a STEM curriculum, it does not stay in a closet. Being at a high school, it gets much abused by kids just learning the ropes about 3D printers, over and over again.

I took this picture yesterday. It looks exactly like the day I gave it to them. The reason that I had the printer at home was because I was repairing it after it walked itself off a table and dropped four feet to the floor. Honestly, you cannot tell that it got dropped from a height onto a hard floor, not that I would recommend doing it. The only visible damage is that the Z-knob got dented on top. I had to replace the hot-end, which snapped at its weak point, and the extruder fan, which looked like it had taken the brunt of the impact, cracking into pieces (being an M2 hobbyist, of course I had a spare hot-end and fan lying around). I had to hammer the motor mount back to a 90-degree angle. The electronics box had popped apart but wasn't broken. I carefully cleaned everything and put it back together, plugged it in and ran it through the paces. Everything worked perfectly, just needed tuning and leveling, and I delivered it back to the school 24 hours after picking it up.

Honestly, the M2 is indestructible.

---Tim
Attachments
phs_m2.jpg
Poolesville High School M2

Vandal968

Re: M2: The indestructible

Post by Vandal968 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:10 pm

The MakerGear is the best 3D printer that I've ever used and I used to have access to much more expensive machines such as the Fortus at work.

cheers,
c

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Wow! I had not seen the OP. Thank you, belatedly, for posting that Tim!!

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks, Rick.

The lesson learned at the school was that if you put a 3D printer on a rolling cart, you had better tie it down with something. Sage advice.