Dial Indicator Mount for M2 RE hot end mount

General discussion topics
airscapes

Dial Indicator Mount for M2 RE hot end mount

Post by airscapes » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 am

I want to get a dial indicator to level the bed and the measure the Gantry sag so I can get the proper shims and fix it. I did a search and found one that attached to the gantry but I really would rather have on on the hot end mount for repeatably. Before I buy a dial indicator and try and roll my own mount, wondering if anyone has a mount for a particular indicator that is know to work?
Did a quick google but have not researched and figured one of these would do the job
https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-35-125-4 ... g+35-125-4
https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Indicato ... indicators

I have Igaging calipers and like them.. seem accurate but who really knows without a high end unit to compare to..

airscapes

Re: Dial Indicator Mount for M2 RE hot end mount

Post by airscapes » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Nutin? No one has remove the extruder and hot end to install a dial indicator to measure bed level and gantry sag? I saw a post where someone mounted the DI on the gantry with a phone clamp.. would prefer it to be on the x axis directly for repeatable measurements before and after shimming X rail...Ed must have done this.. will PM him case he missed this ;-)

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:28 pm

did you try searching on thingiverse? I've uploaded a few designs for mounting a dial indicator to an M2

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:38 pm

also, for what its worth, I ended up just moving to a mini universal mag base that I stick to the top of the extruder stepper for tramming my build plate.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:58 pm

That is a great Idea, do you have a picture and or a link? I am currently in the middle of printing a billion freaking squares.. could have been done hours ago with a dial indicator..