Spray on PVA glue

General discussion topics
airscapes

Spray on PVA glue

Post by airscapes » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Just applying glue stick to a garolite bed I purchased from mkmachining to use with nylons. He said to apply 2 thin coats of glue stick. I have been using glue stick on glass for a while and I find I can apply the first coat very smoothly but the after it drys, the second coat is never as smooth. I was wondering if anyone has tried watering down elmers white glue to spray? I mean it can be done and works for other hobby uses, but has anyone tired it for printing? I was thinking about applying the first coat with glue stick then 2 coats sprayed on after?
Will wait to try this after I test this bed to see how it works as 2 coats are already applied. Will post a review of the plate after I have printed some 910 and EPA. Not sure if the EPA will stick as bed temp should be 80C and was told that Garolite may warp at that temp and don't want that to happen..

Gwhite

Re: Spray on PVA glue

Post by Gwhite » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:12 pm

I lay down a grid of glue stick, and then spray it with a bit of water. I then smear it into an even film with my finger. Works great on PETG & PLA using the bare glass side of the factory build plate. I can refresh it several times by just hitting it with a quick spray & re-smearing it in any areas where it's gotten thin from repeated prints. It actually holds up quite well to multiple prints. I've used the same coating to do a dozen prints or more, at least with PLA.

I can do this with the build plate in place, and the worse that happens is I get a little water on stuff due to overspray. If I use hairspray, or as you suggest, a spray glue, I'd want to remove it every time.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:40 pm

I tried the water spray as you suggest but just ended up removing all the glue and starting over..
Guess will try mixing some glue and water just for fun to see if it will work.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:23 am

Sounds like not enough glue or too much water. I got a small fine mist spray spray bottle at Bed Bath & Beyond for about a dollar that works nicely. I use the "goes on purple dries clear" Emer's glue sticks. You don't want to hose it down, just add enough water to spread it in a film.