Filament

General discussion topics
KeithA

Filament

Post by KeithA » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:02 am

I initially bought a few rolls of PLA from Makergear. It seems to work good but I was trying to evaluate what options I have pertaining to the Type (PLA, ABS, etc.), brand and supplier. I have seen various posts mentioning this but usually as a side note. Would any of you care to share your experiences with different products and suppliers you have tried? This perhaps could save me and others from going for the "good deal" only to regret it in the end. If price and quality is similar I plan to stick with Makergear.

Thanks

jimc

Re: Filament

Post by jimc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:12 am

keith for the pirce that MG sells their pla now you should really just stick with it. it is good stuff. stay away from any imported chinese filament. i have been getting abs from pushplastic.com. they have really good stuff. all made in the US and they are the manufacturer of the stuff. its probably one of the best the best quality abs filaments and you cant get a better deal at $29 shipped to your door. another one that has real good abs is www.onlinefilament.com. i have used atleast 1/2 doz rolls from them. all us stuff as well.

Dale Reed

Re: Filament

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:01 am

Keith,

If you want to try PET, you should look at PET+ from MadeSolid. I like the clear, and jimc has had good luck with the pigmented ones as well. It's a bit pricey -- note whether the price you are seeing is per lb vs per kg. But if you are making food grade stuff or need something fancy shiny clear, give it a try. jimc can shoot you the best profiles -- he's also given them to MadeSolid, so their website should have them available to download.

For PLA, I've stuck with MakerGear. Of course, living a few miles from their shop has benefits -- I can pick up on my lunch hour and save shipping. Of course, the Great State of Ohio gets their share with sales tax, so it's probably a wash. With their new lower price, it makes sense to stick with known good, at least for me.

Dale