Does slower printing prolong printer life?

General discussion topics
helix_3

Does slower printing prolong printer life?

Post by helix_3 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:25 am

I am printing very frequently, and I want to make sure I don't cause undue stress to my printer. I make sure to lubricate everything, keep things clean, etc.

In the long run, does printing at slower speeds help reduce wear on the machine? Or does the increased time spent printing increase wear? (...or does it not make any difference?)

jimc

Re: Does slower printing prolong printer life?

Post by jimc » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:40 am

keep the linear slides lubed and dont worry about it. in the end the amt of movement is just the same be it slow or fast.

Rara

Post by Rara » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:45 pm

It's probably fine to run it full tilt, but I swear I get better results slowing it down.

My first few prints gave me the "I think this is going just a bit fast for its own good" feelings so since then I've run it around 50-80% of default. The Z-platform is pretty solid but box stock it's a bit floppy at the bed since it's basically just sitting on top of the spider, and combine with it not being perfectly flat...well I've also had almost no bed adhesion issues on bare glass (no tape, hairspray, etc) since slowing it down, which I've suspected can be partially blamed on the extruder dragging/pulling a bit on the first layer.
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

Toby

Post by Toby » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Rara wrote:It's probably fine to run it full tilt, but I swear I get better results slowing it down.

My first few prints gave me the "I think this is going just a bit fast for its own good" feelings so since then I've run it around 50-80% of default.
I had the same reaction and agree slowing down makes a big difference both on the print quality and on my nerves. Especially the acceleration. The default is crazy high for no good reason that I can tell.

I also believe it improves problems with ooze that otherwise one is forced to try and resolve with makeshift parameters like extra restart and coast. My theory is the faster you print the faster you have to extrude, which means more pressure building up inside the liquid plastic so that when the extruder stops feeding you actually get more coming out than you would otherwise.

Or it could be that extruding slower allows me to run at lower temperature, which also would reduce ooze. In any case I don't have a problem with it and my only setting is a retraction distance of 1.15 mm for pla.