Properly canceling a print on M2 Rev. E SE using LCD

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...

Properly canceling a print on M2 Rev. E SE using LCD

Postby BBID » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:29 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a M2 Rev. E (Single Extruder) w/ LCD after having used a 2016 Flashforge Creator Pro for a year. Canceling a print on the Creator was very straight forward, you just navigate to the "Cancel Print" option on the machines LCD and click once. This turned both the extruder and bed heaters off, homed x/y axes, turned the cooling fan off, and lowered the bed to make the failed print (if any) accessible. Canceling a print on the M2 using the LCD appears to be a totally different animal though....and by that I mean a complete PITA.

My current procedure to can cancel a print on the M2 is:

(1) Navigate to "Stop Print" on LCD (this is often very difficult because the LCD is VERY unresponsive while the machine is printing).

(2) Navigate to "Home axes" to clear the extruder away from the failed build and to lower the build platform.

(3) Navigate to "Cooldown" to turn the extruder and bed heaters off and to turn the cooling fan (not the extruder fan off).

(4) Navigate to "Move axes" and move the build platform forward along the y-axis to make removing the glass easier.

I could be spoiled by Flashforge, but is there really no way to cancel a print on the M2 that's comparable to the Creator? It seems like this option should definitely be in the LCD menu.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
BBID

Re: Properly canceling a print on M2 Rev. E SE using LCD

Postby insta » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:23 pm

I actually prefer it leaving the heaters on, but to each their own.

If you really want to stop everything immediately, just poke the reset button on the front of the electronics enclosure. There's no harm in it.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org
insta

Postby BBID » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks for the input Insta!

Interesting...maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but is there a reason you would leave the heaters on after a build is completed? Seems like that would be just wasting power and letting filament leak out of the extruder. Unfortunately, it sounds like there is no option that's more elegant than what I was doing before. I'm assuming hitting the reset button next to the USB port just freezes everything in place?
BBID

Postby insta » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 pm

I don't leave them on after a print is complete, but I leave them on if I cancel a print; presumably I want to restart the print again after correcting whatever issue made me cancel it in the first place.

If you poke the reset button the heaters reset, and all the motors go limp.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org
insta

Return to How-to/Guides/Tips