Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Apologies if this is in the wrong section. First post on the forum, but lots of experience with 3D printers.
I recently upgraded my ancient (2013!) M2 with a BlTouch probe for auto bed leveling, and am posting this to help others in case they want to do the same. I also upgraded my firmware to Marlin 220.127.116.11 (2 and onwards weren't cooperating with the BlTouch for some reason)
This upgrade is a drop in replacement, it only requires the reprinting of some parts and some additional nuts and bolts (most of which can be taken from the old extruder assembly). The wiring is as simple as plugging in two connectors, and it leaves the existing Z axis endstop intact and functional.
All of the files and details are at the thingiverse page: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4521274
Here are the specs of my machine, if these match yours then my upgrade will be a drop in replacement.
Standard PLUS upgrade kit (24 volt power supply, 24 volt bed, v4 ref F/G hotend upgrade)
Silver and black z axis motor
Z axis limit switch at the top (minimum position) of Z axis.
SD Card reader
No raspberry pi/octoprint
This may work (probably not the software but everything else) for the M3-SE because it seems to have the same extruder design. I don't have one so this is speculation based on the pictures on the Makergear website. Try at your own risk. (Not that there is a big chance of breaking anything)
Please note that this places the probe on the left side of the hotend, meaning you lose a couple of millimeters of x-axis range. I have tried to minimize this loss, meaning the probe is pushed right up against the hotend. (Which is why it needs insulation around it, and I have made sure that even after several hours of printing, nothing melts)
If you are choosing to undertake this upgrade, please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
Thanks for posting this Plasmabot. I have a M3SE and am keen to get a BlTouch upgrade working on that. This have given me some encouragement to attempt it but as I have never tried changing my marlin firmware I am a little hesitant.