How do you mix your Elmer's Glue?

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
MichaelH

How do you mix your Elmer's Glue?

Post by MichaelH » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 am

I'm playing with Elmer's Glue and been wondering what is the best ratio.

Right now I print PLA with really good success in a ratio 1part glue and 2parts water.
It sticks while printing and pops of when cooled down.

Next weekend I take on ABS and t-glass.

Please post how you use the glue.
images.jpg
That's the one I use!
images.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 6153 times

Toby

Re: How do you mix your Elmer's Glue?

Post by Toby » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:02 am

That's about the same proportions I use, maybe a little less concentrated like 1 part glue to 3 part water. I use a different brand of glue called Weldbond but I think it's probably the same as elmers.

I've only used it for PLA but I love it. I can vary the strength if I need to depending on what I'm printing. Each coating lasts for multiple prints- 5 at least and the last one was still working even after that but I cleaned it anyway.

I use two plates of glass and treat them both at the same time, then just swap them out from print to print. When one print finishes I take the glass out and let it cool on a wire rack, put in the other plate, do the level and z-height through S3D, and I'm good to go for the next print.

Lately I've tried mixing more solution than I need and storing it diluted. I use a brush to put it on the glass, wait a minute or two, then go over it with a roller to make it smooth and even. Here's my toolkit:
glue.JPG
glue.JPG (46.09 KiB) Viewed 6143 times