LED Lighting with RF remote control

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
insta

Re: LED Lighting with RF remote control

Post by insta » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:59 am

Dale Reed wrote:Insta,

Negative. I have a 24 volt M2. The power is fed to the far LEFT terminals (bed power) directly from PS, but it also jumpers to the next pair (middle, extruder etc.) and then jumpers to the right-hand pair (electronics power). The LEDs tie into this last pair. There are no more than two wires on any terminal.

The three "users" of 24 volt power from the single power supply are all in parallel, so it doesn't matter where you tie them in on the RAMBo power connector (assuming the wire gauge is sufficient --- we can discuss that in a new Subject --- and the connector will accept the wires) -- but there's no way I'm going to try to shoehorn those wires into the left-hand screws on that little Phoenix connector! I had single wires in the right-hand pair (electronics power), so I tied in there.

Actually, I'm thinking of taking all those big pairs of wires that don't really fit in the Phoenix connector holes all that well and doing all the wire splitting external to the M2, so that there's only ONE (hopefully, 14 AWG or larger fine-stranded) wire in each hole.

And I'm considering removing the Phoenix connectors altogether and working out a way to use 30A Anderson Powerpole connectors to get removable connections -- a much better designed connector for power. The Phoenix connectors are really designed for signal wiring, not power, AFAIK. We use them all the time for control system and industrial fieldbus type connections --- never more than 4A of current.

Dale

We cool now, Dale 8-)

I know there's a version of the Phoenix connector that does 15A. I use them on my ONI, but I don't remember if the M2 has them or not. The green ones are 11A.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Pum

Post by Pum » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello Makergear Techies,

I'd like to add LED lighting to my M2 v4 (24v PSU.) Reading this thread and looking at the electronics drawing here http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-electronics I can't quite figure out where I can draw the power for LED strip. Can someone clarify exactly where and how I can tap in to get 24v or 12v for LED strip lights please? Is it from one of the pairs of connectors (A, B or C) on the Power Input block? I've ordered some 24v LED strip, but I could get a 12v one if that is better.

Thanx in advance, Pum, London, UK.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Pum wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:32 pm
one of the pairs of connectors (A, B or C) on the Power Input block
That's the ticket: the board gets 24 V at each pair, so any pair will provide 24 V to your LEDs.

Earlier M2s used 12 V for the platform power supply and 19 V for everything else. Separating the supplies allow you to use different voltages for each function, although I think good printers use 24 V for everything these days. Printers without heated beds may still use 12 V.

Rather than buying 24 V LEDs, it may be less expensive to get 12 V LEDs and use a buck converter to get 12 V from the 24 V supply. On the other paw, a small 12 V wall wart plugged into the same power strip as the printer may be less annoying all around.

Pum

Post by Pum » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi, thanx for confirming where to draw the power. So I see in principle where to get 24v from, but how the heck does one physically get to it? I can see the back of the contacts on the inside of the power connector, that one could theoretically solder to, but it looks way too close to other components to do. Or do people tap from the male connector on the power supply cable? Seems less tidy. Or what? I'm not an electronics expert, but I can do basic soldering.

I have an M2 with v4 hotend and printed extruder motor mount, and I'm currently repairing a friends M2 with v4 hot end and metal extruder motor mount. I thought I'd add LED whilst I'm at it. 24v LED strips seem to be pretty much just as cheap as 12v on ebay UK.

Thanx in advance, Pum, London, Uk.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Pum wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 pm
how the heck does one physically get to it?
Unscrew the terminals holding the wires from the power supply, tuck the LED wires in there beside them, then tighten the screws.

If you install a suitable jack + plug on your LED cable at the M2, you can unplug the LEDs when you unplug the power supply, rather than dismantling the M2's connector every time. While not quite as neat as having LEDs connected to the RAMBo board, the extra connector eliminates a whole world of increasingly bizarre issues.

csledge

Post by csledge » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 pm

JonHughes wrote:
Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:13 pm
I did this too, but used these LEDs. http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-le ... 0&tab=tab3
They are a bit pricey but warmer and way brighter then the ones mentioned above (which I also tried)
Also added a 3 strip wired into fan1 on a custom fan bracket. awesome super bright
IMG_4049.JPG
IMG_4050.JPG
IMG_4051.JPG
I did the same setup but quickly found that the back bed clips hit the strip if the print was large enough. You may want to zero out the bed and see how far forward it can move before it hits the strip. Fortunately I happen to apply the strip where the clip hit between the LEDs (by accident).

I've subsequently built an enclosure and moved the strips along the inside edge of the top/sides

makeal

Post by makeal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:53 pm

csledge wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 pm

I did the same setup but quickly found that the back bed clips hit the strip if the print was large enough. You may want to zero out the bed and see how far forward it can move before it hits the strip. Fortunately I happen to apply the strip where the clip hit between the LEDs (by accident).

I've subsequently built an enclosure and moved the strips along the inside edge of the top/sides
Can you post a picture of your enclosure?