How do you deal with the end of a filament roll?

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
jimc

Re: How do you deal with the end of a filament roll?

Post by jimc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:16 am

Haha thats funny. I had a print end in the exact same spot the other day.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 am

Yeah, jimc, don't you love how they put exactly the right amount of filament on every spool? ;-)

Perbear

Post by Perbear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:47 pm

What about using a microswitch that can sense the presence of filament?
Signal from switch can be used to trigger a buzzer to get attention from the operator. This can be further improved:
Filament_ended_Signal can go to the RAMBo board and be used by the onboard software to pause extrusion in a way that can easily be restarted after roll has been replaced.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Dale - I call that printer roulette. I lose about as often as I win; my current record is 9 3/8", from 6/27. Though that's only since I've been recording them - I'm pretty sure I've had far lower X)

perbear - it's not a common issue, but I do like that solution - I had been thinking of an optical system, possibly that could also sense filament motion (so it could alert on print end or filament jam), but a switch would be nice and simply. There's even a perfect location, and it looks like enough space, on the [left] filament guide... And Marlin already does have "on_spool_exhausted" functionality, I just don't know the exact name off the top of my head, or what can be done with that signal.

markb

Post by markb » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:10 pm

jsc wrote:How fortuitous, I just ran across this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fuse ... d-printers
Ok I just got a shipping notice for my FUSE, Welding filament clamp. For 3D printers.
I hope it works well.
http://infonubis.com/ventas/index.php/f ... _store=esp

insta

Post by insta » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Josh wrote:Dale - I call that printer roulette. I lose about as often as I win; my current record is 9 3/8", from 6/27. Though that's only since I've been recording them - I'm pretty sure I've had far lower X)

perbear - it's not a common issue, but I do like that solution - I had been thinking of an optical system, possibly that could also sense filament motion (so it could alert on print end or filament jam), but a switch would be nice and simply. There's even a perfect location, and it looks like enough space, on the [left] filament guide... And Marlin already does have "on_spool_exhausted" functionality, I just don't know the exact name off the top of my head, or what can be done with that signal.
I had 2 inches of filament sticking out the top of the filament drive at the end of a 13 hour print. Another instance of dumb, blind luck.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:21 am

A NEW RECORD! Josh, have you still been recording? Can you beat that?
I haven't been printing much lately --- other priorities with the house. So I haven't had to change spools recently...

markb: Neat device. Lots of room on those screws for some springs or such, and looks like you could cut a second entry channel so you could feed one spool while the other sits in standby. Now just need a way to instantly, automatically heat fuse them while it's feeding through.

Hmmm.

You know, a flying splice on the feed end of a continuous paper coating machine at 3600 ft/min is easier than this is turning out to be. At least for me (job stuff).
Dale

markb

Post by markb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:28 am

I have a bunch of black ABS spools that just have some filament left on them. I want to fuse them together and print with them.

The boys want to print in multi colors in one print.

I just hope it works good.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:34 am

i just had the same thing mark. i had 6-7 abs spools that had just a small amt on them so that what i burnt up on the bomb parts i was making. its getting painted anyway so colors didnt matter. couple things to note. dont let the filament end run down in the drive and think youll just feed the new stuff in right behind it. that doesnt work. pause the print, NOT STOP, bump the extruder in the x or y a couple times to get the tip off the model, retract the old, feed the new then resume. you should be good to go.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:42 am

jimc is right on. The only way pushing would work without jamming would be if you could dish the back of the outgoing thread and exactly point the front end of the new thread so they'd stay in alignment. Not even worth trying.

Hey markb, I looked again at the picture of that "Fuse" thingy -- I don't see exactly how they are applying the heat. The pictures on the site only show the main jig. When you get it and get it set up, post some photos so we can see the whole deal --- electrical as well as mechanical, okay? Thanks!