Any reccomendations for unclogging the hot end

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
jccdesign

Any reccomendations for unclogging the hot end

Post by jccdesign » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:01 am

Hi , im experiencing clogging in my prints lately, whats the best way to unclogged the hot end, are there any procedures?

jimc

Re: Any reccomendations for unclogging the hot end

Post by jimc » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:24 am

best way is just tear it down to give it a good cleaning. there are other ways that may work but they dont get it 100%.

jccdesign

Post by jccdesign » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:37 am

Hi, i did a tear down of the hot end, torched the peek barrel and removed the clogged plastic, but i noticed that in the peek o n the inside there is a clog , i dont know how to unclog it. Whats the best way to do this?

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:10 am

Here's my thread on my own unclogging adventures, something in there may be useful to you. Especially the link for the hot end assembly instructions, which you can follow in reverse as disassembly instructions.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=732

Try the paint stripper, too, that worked great for me.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:03 am

Ran into this link on Reddit tonight. Its a series of YouTube videos that show someone going through the unclogging process. Not an M2 but similar type of drive and hotend. I replaced my hotend on my first clog, haven't had a second one (fingers crossed), this kind of made the process much clearer for me than just reading about it. I'll feel comfortable doing it after seeing this.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ieMWcuzPQ7
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jccdesign

Post by jccdesign » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:53 pm

I tried everything, dissembled it , torched it , paint stripper, did the assembly with the 2.5 mm gap and still starts extruding upwards and then stops extruding, but the gear keeps turning . I think i will just order a new hot end assembly.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Will it extrude into free air (not on the bed)? If not, have you played with the tension screw?

jccdesign

Post by jccdesign » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:20 am

Yeah i tried playing with the tension screw, it just extrudes to the air , not to the bed, it starts extruding then just suddenly stops , but the gear keeps turning .

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:56 am

How does your first layer look? Is it really plastered down? If your Z end stop is set too high, the bed will end up stopping up the filament as it tries to come out. At some point, the gear will chew a divot in the filament at which point it can't really push any more. Maybe try this: before your print really gets going, turn the Z knob to the left by one click. That will lower the bed. Don't worry if it seems too high at that point, just see if it gets to the second layer.

jccdesign

Post by jccdesign » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:46 am

Right now im just extruding using the jog controls in simplify 3d, so when i hit the extrude button, it just extrude upwards and then just stops even when the gear still turning .I tried printing before the tear down of the hot end , and started fine , but after the scond or first layer , it stops extruding.