YABAM

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Toby

YABAM

Post by Toby » Thu May 08, 2014 7:08 pm

I had a situation where I had one little plastic cup filled with diluted elmers and another one filled with suave max hold pump hairspray. I wondered what would happen if I mixed them...

So here we have YABAM (Yet Another Bed Adhesion Method). In the first test with PLA it worked well on a part that had a sharp corner, which is where lifting might be expected to happen. No lift, and the adhesion was a pleasant combination of the two- they both must have helped during printing, but the hairspray seems to release better after cooling, so the part came off the bed a bit easier than with just elmers.

Way overkill of course but it's hard not to become a connoisseur of such things.

Dale Reed

Re: YABAM

Post by Dale Reed » Thu May 08, 2014 9:18 pm

I gotta try that!
Now, Toby, go start a website, buy the ingredients in bulk, and sell bottles of it. Would be way cool if you had a brush in the lid, like old jars of paste. (Unfortunately, yabam.com is taken...)
Dale

Toby

Post by Toby » Fri May 09, 2014 1:36 am

Dale Reed wrote: Now, Toby, go start a website, buy the ingredients in bulk, and sell bottles of it. Would be way cool if you had a brush in the lid, like old jars of paste. (Unfortunately, yabam.com is taken...)
Dale
Lol, sure why not. I just need one more "secret" ingredient....maybe a little alcohol so it smells like it means business.

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun May 18, 2014 4:04 am

I'm starting to think this stuff may actually be an improvement over straight hair spray or elmers. I've printed about 8 times on one application and it shows no signs of wearing out. Here's the condition of it now:
Yabam.JPG
Yabam.JPG (36.79 KiB) Viewed 9417 times
It's almost like it was when first applied, with very minimal ghosting from past prints.

I hope someone else tries it out to see if it works for them also. The formula is:

1 part white glue (I used Weldbond)
3 parts filtered water.
4 parts suave max hold pump.

Mix it all together in a plastic container and apply it with a brush. I waited a couple of minutes after that and then smoothed it out with a roller as well.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 am

what have you tested it with? abs, pla, nylon, pet? how firm is the bond? are you using the same bed temp as you were using any of them by themselves? maybe i'll do a walmart run tomorrow and grab some stuff

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun May 18, 2014 6:16 am

i should have said- this has been all PLA. Maybe I'll try some ABS prints soon.

I've been using 60 as a bed temp and extruding at 215, which is my usual.

The adhesion is a little different. I would describe it as "solid", but it's not that "glued to the glass" thing that can happen with elmers alone. The best thing is to be patient and let the bed alone for half an hour or more is even better. I take the glass off the M2 and lay it on a wire rack and try to forget about it.

I haven't made a scientific study, but my impression is if you really let it alone then when it comes off there's a slight bond but the nice thing is it doesn't leave any ghosting on the surface. It just seems to be a more durable finish than either elmers or hairspray alone. No idea what could make that happen.