How to guide for in-depth calibration?

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
helifrek

How to guide for in-depth calibration?

Post by helifrek » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Hello all,
I was wondering if there are any good calibration guides out there that are for S3D. I found this on thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5573/#instructions
and it seems well written but it is for skienforge. I do understand that the same settings probably apply to S3D but I am sure some of the settings in S3D might not respond the same as skienforge.
I would like to get my printer to perform the best it possibly can but I need a guide written for dummies :)

Let me know what you guys use!

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

insta

Re: How to guide for in-depth calibration?

Post by insta » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:23 am

That, and those instructions were written for DC extruders :)

I wish I had more information to add. All that I can really say is the thin-wall calibration cube, but I don't know how to do it with S3D, only Slic3r. That said, the calibration can be applied to the firmware itself so it would benefit S3D as well.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:41 am

You and everyone else have been begging for a manual or guide since s3d was released. It just has never happened. I always send people to slic3r's manual on their site. It pretty good and alot of the basics transfer over to s3d. Jin did his own manual for s3d a long time ago. It a little out if date with all the new functions but the basics are still there. He will have to chime in with a link. I dont know where it is.

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:16 pm

Think this is the one your talking about... http://jinschoi.github.io/simplify3d-docs/ Everything I know was from reading this guide, it's well written.... it's pretty awesome actually.

-Steve

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks, Steve, I'm glad you found it useful. It is starting to get a little dated after one of the recent updates revamped the interface a little, but underneath it's all still mostly the same.

In there somewhere, I liked to Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide. Helifrek, you may find that useful. You can skip all the stuff about calibrating steps, that is for figuring out firmware settings for a printer you built yourself in your shed. The rest is applicable to an M2, although keep in mind that all your temperatures will be about 20C higher than the ones that other people quote.

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:39 am

I figured out a good print for z height calibration..... it could really be any shape but I made a 100mm diameter circle that was .20 high and it really helped me figure out the right z height. My first two tries were way too high and not good at all. Third try was a charm! A nice solid circle that I cannot pull apart! Worked out nicely.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:01 am

i just posted this in another thread but did you find my z heigh calibration model for the m2 on thingiverse? similar concept to what you did but gives you an indication of where you need to adjust with one print.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:180970

helifrek

Post by helifrek » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:23 pm

I did see your calibration on thingiverse but I haven't ran it just yet. I was in need of a quick-n-dirty method to print something for a customer real fast.

I don't quite understand the lines in the middle though....

Are you supposed to measure the thickness of the outside boxes and compare that to the labeled lines? So the center line labeled 0.0 should be the same as the boxes and the one labeled +.1 should be the whatever the outside boxes are plus .1mm?

Just want to make sure. I overthink things sometimes and screw myself up......

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:35 pm

The + and - lines are adjusting the bed height by that amt so you can see how it prints and you will know how much to move your z-stop bolt. Center lines are for adjusting the gap, boxes are for adjusting bed level.