Newbie - Needs some help!

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
mlhmail

Newbie - Needs some help!

Post by mlhmail » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Traded for my M2 and now I'm trying to get it to work. I have a couple of other printers, but this one seems a bit more complicated than I was expecting. Optimally, I'd be thankful to find someone to walk me through the set-up / initial print stage, then I think I could get it going from there.
I downloaded Simplify 3D. I loaded a pretty simple model (small 40mm square test plaque).
The I've been waiting forever for the printer to start printing… Says it's waiting for the extruder to preheat, but it's been at 240 for about 15 minutes… the bed is at 110…
Any good videos - or better yet - kind soles who don't mind talking over the phone!!?
Thanks,
lost in Michigan
Matt

jsc

Re: Newbie - Needs some help!

Post by jsc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Is the extruder actually at 240, or is it just set to 240? Does the temp line climb up to the set line? Is it actually hot (don't touch it!)?

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:05 am

Is the heater element plugged in up by the fan?
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm going from (suspect) memory here, but I think that in S3D, on the Temperature tab on the advanced view of the FFF dialog) you can uncheck the box that makes it wait for the temperature to stabilize. This will let the print run even if the bed or extruder is not up to temperature.

Note, however, that there's a firmware minimum for the extruder temperature before extrusion moves are allowed. IIRC, the default limit is 170 C -- the nozzle has to be above that temperature before you can extrude -- jog-wise, move-wise or otherwise.

HTH!
Dale

mlhmail

Post by mlhmail » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Thank you for the posts.

Here's where I'm at - will pay for tutor! I have a $100 gift card to 3dxtech.com and will gladly trade this for some good one-on-one assistance. Please contact me if this sounds like something you're will to do. I foresee a few phone calls, maybe a few emails…

Takers?

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:18 pm

I hear Makergear has great support, why not just give them a call direct?

-Steve

mlhmail

Post by mlhmail » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:43 pm

I traded for the printer and didn't buy it from them… My emails / phone calls have gone on deaf ears (which I suppose I can understand…)

insta

Post by insta » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:50 am

mlhmail wrote:I traded for the printer and didn't buy it from them… My emails / phone calls have gone on deaf ears (which I suppose I can understand…)
Eh, I dunno, that's not quite their style. I'd be first to blame the holidays over anything.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org