what should i prime my abs prints with?

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
metrons

what should i prime my abs prints with?

Post by metrons » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:51 pm

will regular primer paint work? ive seen people use acrylics on their prints? i wanna prime my prints and then paint them, i'm not sure what types of paints i should be using. i'm hoping someone has done this already and can share their knowledge. dying to paint some of the prints i have!

cheers!

insta

Re: what should i prime my abs prints with?

Post by insta » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Try regular spray-paint primers from the hardware store. I've had good luck with Krylon and Rustoleum brands.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Here's a thread on primers for PLA, I'm pretty sure they will work on ABS: viewtopic.php?t=1720&p=6746

jimc (whose pronouncements on all things painting/finishing should be considered ex cathedra) recommends SEM brand (for us peasants without an air compressor :) ), but regular auto/hardware store brands also work. I picked up a can of this one a while ago, but haven't had a chance to try it yet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PKZ33Y/.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:12 am

:mrgreen: :lol:

well luckly abs is very easy to paint. if you want a good bond with the part then anything solvent based will melt into the abs and stick like crazy. solvent being MOST typical rattle can aerosol paints unless it specifically says waterbased or waterborne on the can. acrylics are waterbased so they will work but they wont be chemically bonded with the abs part. rattle can grey primer is fine. apply 3-4 coats letting it flash dry for 10-15min between coats. once its all on let it sit for a couple hours then you can sand the primer smooth removing the layer marks. once it smooth then your ready for paint. on top of the primer you can use more rattle can or acrylics. if you have the tools for it then automotive paints will always work best.

here are some painted prints i did

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1679
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1588&start=10

and some more cool stuff from other members

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1848
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1825

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:44 am

You're probably the person to ask about this Jim. Do you know of a clear coat method that works well on metallic paint without dulling the finish. I've tried multiple acrylic clear cans over metallic enamel, I've also tried rattle can urethane clear (that gave the best results so far).

Do you have any suggestions?

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:00 am

Well the urethane clear is probably the best thing froma rattle can but the dulling is probably more a result of the metallic paint than the clearcoat. The solvents in the clearcoat are probably reflowing and moving the metallics. What you need is a basecolor that is designed to have clearcoat applied over it. What that product might be other than automotive basecoat i have no idea. Im not really up on what is available when it comes to that. Automotive is all i use

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:03 pm

jimc wrote: The solvents in the clearcoat are probably reflowing and moving the metallics. What you need is a basecolor that is designed to have clearcoat applied over it.
Thank you Jim!