Extrusion calibration

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
jdacal

Re: Extrusion calibration

Post by jdacal » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:11 am

Thanks, just tightened it up, will update.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:21 am

You were right Jim. Again. LOL! I'm not sure what the problem was, I re-leveled, re-did the cubes and still had the problem. Nozzle was reading .005mm at center of bed. Finally got frustrated and just started turning the Z screw, printing, turning, printing until it just seemed to fall into place. Whew! Frustrating.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:11 am

Cool glad you got it sorted. I dont measure anything anymore. Results are what counts. I adjust that z stop until the first layer is right irregardless of what the measurement is.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:16 am

Does it matter if I use 0.2mm or 0.25mm layer height?

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:50 am

I don't think it matters, but its essentially 10 layers, of .2mm, which is why they measure and compare to 2mm. I would imagine if you use .25 then you would compare to 2.5mm.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:54 am

Nope, doesn't matter at all. It still comes out to 2 mm tall. (Just uses fewer layers.) :D

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:58 am

To be clear, it only doesn't matter because 2mm is evenly divisible by both .20 and .25. If you picked, say, .15, then you would not get a perfect 2mm height.

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Thanks for all the replies:) My next question is, if I calibrated with 0.2mm layer height, then change the setting to 0.25mm layer height, do I need to re-calibrate? Or the software will adapt that change automatically?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:50 pm

DrRobot wrote:Or the software will adapt that change automatically?
The slicer will adjust the extruder speed to push out the proper volume of plastic to fill whatever thread width x thickness you specify, so in that sense it's an automagic adjustment. However, the actual extrusion process is strongly nonlinear, so the 25% change from 0.20 to 0.25 mm thickness might require more (or less!) than a 25% change in extruder speed.

The Extrusion Multiplier is basically a fudge factor that compensates for all those nonlinear effects, but it should be pretty close within a "reasonable" range of variations. If you care about the results, sprinkle a couple of thinwall calibration boxes over the platform, slice & print 'em with the new thickness, and measure the results.

If they come out close enough for your needs, you're done. If not, well, you know what to do! [grin]

DrRobot

Post by DrRobot » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:32 pm

ednisley wrote:
DrRobot wrote:Or the software will adapt that change automatically?
The slicer will adjust the extruder speed to push out the proper volume of plastic to fill whatever thread width x thickness you specify, so in that sense it's an automagic adjustment. However, the actual extrusion process is strongly nonlinear, so the 25% change from 0.20 to 0.25 mm thickness might require more (or less!) than a 25% change in extruder speed.

The Extrusion Multiplier is basically a fudge factor that compensates for all those nonlinear effects, but it should be pretty close within a "reasonable" range of variations. If you care about the results, sprinkle a couple of thinwall calibration boxes over the platform, slice & print 'em with the new thickness, and measure the results.

If they come out close enough for your needs, you're done. If not, well, you know what to do! [grin]
Make sense, thanks for the explanation!