How To: Clean the V3b Barrel and Nozzle with a Propane Torch

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
SnitchyCat

Re: How To: Clean the V3b Barrel and Nozzle with a Propane T

Post by SnitchyCat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi people, I have this V3B nozzle all jammed up on my printer.

I tried to take apart my barrel and nozzle but I ended up destroying the threads underneath the nuts, and the barrel still wouldn't move. And that's after I left the barrel and nozzle together in acetone for a few days.

I did try heating the assembly with a heat gun and some plastic did ooze out the back but I still cannot see any light at the end of my barrel/nozzle assembly. I don't know if the heat gun got hot enough but I don't own a propane torch.

Seeing as how the above poster had his barrel snap in two, I guess I'll quit while I'm ahead and then stick my barrel/nozzle back in acetone.

Is the V4 less prone to jamming or at least easier to take apart?

insta

Post by insta » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:20 pm

It is marginally less prone to jamming, significantly easier to take apart, and more expensive than buying a bunch of used V3Bs from the for-sale section on the forums. I'm pretty sure if you post a "want to buy: V3Bs" you'll get several hits for $10-15 for complete hotends (not just nozzles) ready-to-go.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:54 pm

SnitchyCat wrote:stick my barrel/nozzle back in acetone
Acetone dissolves ABS, converts PLA into gum, and bounces off nylon and PETG, so the results depend on which filament you're using.

For PLA, you can try old-school nasty paint stripper with methylene chloride, but IIRC the concentration isn't high enough to get inside where it'll do the most good.

An informative series of tests:
http://www.vinland.com/blog/?p=68