Warm Up Program

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Alloy

Warm Up Program

Post by Alloy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:35 pm

Going back to my knowledge of CNC Machines, there was always a warm up program that was run when the machine was started. For those that are unfamiliar with this practice, the warm up program just moves the axes their full travel to help distribute normal wear and tear. This helps to keep the machine tight so the middle of travel (where most work is done) does not wear more then and end of the travel.

I could program one myself, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has one they are willing to share. Thanks

Matt_Sharkey

Re: Warm Up Program

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:45 pm

Would be a pretty easy (maybe even fun) exercise in writing gcode.

I might assign this as an extra assignment for the kiddies this year :twisted:

Alloy

Post by Alloy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:55 pm

I have had the printer for about a month now and havnt coded anything yet, so I will probably do it. Is there a list of g and m codes somewhere that I can use for reference. I know the ISO codes but each some machines use their own...

Where would I put the program to run it?

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Reprap wiki here:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

Mostly what you need is G1 Xx Yy Zz Ee Ff ; E for extruder if you want to actuate that, F for Feed rate or speed
I will edit in some other helpful codes in a moment

To make one, just open notepad and write it out. Change the file extension to .gcode
then run the .gcode normally

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:08 pm

I looked through my Start up and shutdown perameters and plundered some helpful codes.

M84 S0 ; don't let go of motors
M301 P10 I0.9 D250 ; set better PID parameters
G28 X0 Y0 Z0; home X Y Z (or specify which)
G92 E0 ; reset extruder position to 0 (or specify which and where)
G91 ; Set relative positioning (useful for saying move 1mm right as opposed to move to 148.2)
G90 ; Return to absolute positioning (opposite of the former)
M84 ; Disable motors

Alloy

Post by Alloy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:23 pm

Any limit to the number of a certain type of code that can be on one line? The cnc machines I coded for allowed "unlimited" G codes in a line but only 1 M code

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:26 pm

Not sure, but its easy enough to break up the code into individual lines. Go and generate a gcode of an object, maybe a box. and check out how the slicers generate gcode. it's surprisingly simple.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:14 pm

If you're on a Mac or Linux, it's easy enough to write a simple script that will generate g-code for an indefinite period of time. Here's an example I wrote for a friend who wanted to use his M2 as a shake table:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require 'serialport'

def send(sp, str)
  sp.puts str
  response = ""
  while !response.end_with?("ok\n")
    c = sp.getc
    if c
      response += c
    end
  end
  puts response
end

SerialPort.open("/dev/cu.usbmodemfd141", 115200, 8, 1, SerialPort::NONE) do |sp|
  sp.read_timeout = 5
  sleep 5
  send(sp, "G28 X Y")
  sleep 5
  send(sp, "G0 Y100 F6000")
  sleep 5
  puts sp.read

i = 1
  while true do
    y = 100 + i % 2
    send(sp, "G0 Y#{y} F6000")
    i += 1
  end
end

insta

Post by insta » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:43 pm

Alloy wrote:Going back to my knowledge of CNC Machines, there was always a warm up program that was run when the machine was started. For those that are unfamiliar with this practice, the warm up program just moves the axes their full travel to help distribute normal wear and tear. This helps to keep the machine tight so the middle of travel (where most work is done) does not wear more then and end of the travel.

I could program one myself, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has one they are willing to share. Thanks
This *might* be unnecessary. Our machines get a lot less load on them than CNC machines do.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:47 pm

Yeah this was discussed once before and it was determined that it was basically a waste of time and unnecessary on our machines