Fine Detail Printing

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Jules

Re: Fine Detail Printing

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Alloy wrote:
Jules wrote:But from a practical perspective, if you need layer heights less than 0.1mm, wouldn't it be better to just go with laser sintering to start with?
Maybe...but...money....I have the FDM machine already
:lol:

Well ,in that case - you can go down to 0.025 mm layers with your M2. ;)

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm

ednisley wrote:
Jules wrote:better to just go with laser sintering to start with?
A photopolymer printer may be more practical for ordinary home-shop users:
http://formlabs.com/products/form-1-plus/

The minimum feature size seems to be 0.30 mm, about half of what you'd get with a small-nozzle filament-based printer on a fair day with a tailwind, and 0.1 mm layer thickness seems the default. So it's not a clear win for very very very small details.

You still need support for complex objects and, by definition, support will be the same photopolymer.

The surface finish looks nice; kinda like acetone-smoothed ABS.

Limited colors and spendy consumables, though...
Oh yeah, the Form 1 made the short list, but i ultimately chose the M2.........my next toy, maybe! (By then i'm sure there will be a hundred more choices.) :D

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Based on hearsay, the Form 1 has had teething problems. High failure rates, big mess, expensive resin. Perhaps their new model solves some of those issues. I'm willing to wait until the price comes down.

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:25 pm

jsc wrote:Based on hearsay, the Form 1 has had teething problems. High failure rates, big mess, expensive resin. Perhaps their new model solves some of those issues. I'm willing to wait until the price comes down.
You know, I bet you could make one with an M2 and some trialanderror...
Love Always,
MtG

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Based on hearsay, the Form 1 has had teething problems. High failure rates, big mess, expensive resin. Perhaps their new model solves some of those issues. I'm willing to wait until the price comes down.
Yup! Me three! :D

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:31 pm

Mark the Greater wrote:
jsc wrote:Based on hearsay, the Form 1 has had teething problems. High failure rates, big mess, expensive resin. Perhaps their new model solves some of those issues. I'm willing to wait until the price comes down.
You know, I bet you could make one with an M2 and some trialanderror...
Jin's already printed an Eggbot. :mrgreen:

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:54 am

i have found that i take my settings for .1mm layers and i can print .08 layers with the exact same settings. i just load my .1 profile and change the layer height to .08...nothing else. i only run layers that fine if i have something that needs a nice top layer and the top surface is on a shallow angle. a car emblem for instance. it really smooths out the stepping of the layers.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:04 am

jimc wrote:i have found that i take my settings for .1mm layers and i can print .08 layers with the exact same settings. i just load my .1 profile and change the layer height to .08...nothing else. i only run layers that fine if i have something that needs a nice top layer and the top surface is on a shallow angle. a car emblem for instance. it really smooths out the stepping of the layers.
Post 'em! :D ;)
(not that i don't believe you, it's just saving me some time since i spent an entire weekend fighting the Win10 "caught in the update loop" fiasco!)

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:13 am

the settings? well im running the e3d but what i was getting at is that you should be able to take your good .1 profile and go slightly finer with no tweaking.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:31 am

jimc wrote:the settings? well im running the e3d but what i was getting at is that you should be able to take your good .1 profile and go slightly finer with no tweaking.
but....but....but....i have no 0.1 profile......sniiiifffff! :cry:

Just being silly by the way.....i think Win10 fried what was left of my brain.