How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby helifrek » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Well, I finally tried this!
I used to change filament on my old flashforge using this method, just chase the old filament in and I never had a problem. Well, When I first got the M2 I didn't know I was supposed to retract the filament out and then put the new filament in! I guess I didn't cut my filament perfectly flat because it just extruded the old stuff until it was past the extruder gear and didn't catch the new stuff coming in, I had to take the fans off and pull the extruder out to get to that little piece of filament! but that was just changing filament, which seems like it would be easier without the head moving all around!

Anyways, Today I had a couple of feet of black PLA left over and I didn't want it to go to waste so I just used it and followed the end of it in with my new spool and it worked like a charm!!!! Thanks for the tip Jules! I was afraid to try this again after my last accident!
Last edited by helifrek on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
helifrek
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby Jules » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:54 pm

helifrek wrote:Well, I finally tried this!
I used do change filament on my old flashforge using this method, just chase the old filament in and I never had a problem. Well, When I first got the M2 I didn't know I was supposed to retract the filament out and then put the new filament in! I guess I didn't cut my filament perfectly flat because it just extruded the old stuff until it was past the extruder gear and didn't catch the new stuff coming in, I had to take the fans off and pull the extruder out to get to that little piece of filament! but that was just changing filament, which seems like it would be easier without the head moving all around!

Anyways, Today I had a couple of feet of black PLA left over and I didn't want it to go to waste so I just used it and followed the end of it in with my new spool and it worked like a charm!!!! Thanks for the tip Jules! I was afraid to try this again after my last accident!


Fan-tastic!
:D
User avatar
Jules
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby Slipshine » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:44 am

I finally got a good project to try this on. My wife wanted a Christmas themed cell phone case. thanks for sharing the technique.

1206152228~2~2-1.jpg
Slipshine
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 am

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby Jules » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:04 am

Slipshine wrote:I finally got a good project to try this on. My wife wanted a Christmas themed cell phone case. thanks for sharing the technique.

1206152228~2~2-1.jpg


Whoa, that looks wicked! Great job! :D
User avatar
Jules
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby jimc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Never saw this thread until today. I have been doing this exact method for a couple years now and it works great. As long as the filament ends that but together are flat then the filament should just feed through smoothly. Never had a problem. I usually cut with a straight razor since that gives a flatter end but never had a problem using flush cutters either.
User avatar
jimc
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: mullica, nj

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby Jules » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:44 pm

jimc wrote:Never saw this thread until today. I have been doing this exact method for a couple years now and it works great. As long as the filament ends that but together are flat then the filament should just feed through smoothly. Never had a problem. I usually cut with a straight razor since that gives a flatter end but never had a problem using flush cutters either.


I've been meaning to make one of those little razor blade guillotines - just keep getting side-tracked before I sit down and search out a good file to try. (That would work better than the cutters, it would leave a flat edge on both ends, ready to go for next time.)
User avatar
Jules
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby sthone » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:35 pm

This One on thingiverse is pretty simple but it cuts on an angle... I've been meaning to redo it so it cuts straight for splicing but I just haven't gotten that far down on the to do list yet. :|
User avatar
sthone
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby Jules » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:50 pm

sthone wrote:This One on thingiverse is pretty simple but it cuts on an angle... I've been meaning to redo it so it cuts straight for splicing but I just haven't gotten that far down on the to do list yet. :|


Ooooh....excellent find! Downloaded it to play with too! (I'd also like to add a notch, so that the filament doesn't have to be threaded through.) :D
User avatar
Jules
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby sthone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:27 pm

Jules wrote:Ooooh....excellent find! Downloaded it to play with too! (I'd also like to add a notch, so that the filament doesn't have to be threaded through.) :D


Filament Cutter 01.jpg

Here you go Jules... Try This One
User avatar
sthone
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: How to: "Not-Splice" Filament on its way into the M2

Postby Jules » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:48 pm

sthone wrote:
Jules wrote:Ooooh....excellent find! Downloaded it to play with too! (I'd also like to add a notch, so that the filament doesn't have to be threaded through.) :D


Filament Cutter 01.jpg

Here you go Jules... Try This One


Fan-freaking-tastic! I tried a redesign for a different blade, (which turned out to not be strong enough to cut through stiff PLA)....so I scrapped it, and hadn't gotten back to it. That saves some serious re-work! :D
(Just need to pick up some snap off blades next time I'm at Ace.) Awesomeness!
User avatar
Jules
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to How-to/Guides/Tips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests