How To: Take Apart the V4 Hot End for Cold Cleaning

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
insta

Re: How To: Take Apart the V4 Hot End for Cold Cleaning

Post by insta » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:59 am

Huh, OK. The idea was just to soften the plastic barely enough to let you stab it through with an allen wrench, not actually melt it out. Glad it worked though.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ajmadison

Post by ajmadison » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Think my V4 hot-end was fried anyway, but I got to the step "Remove the black cloth cover. Take the removable thermistor out of the hot-end and set it aside."

Well, I lightly tugged on each set of wires, and nothing moved. First off, not sure which set of wires are attached to the thermistor, but unless there's a special way of getting it to slide out of the hot-end that I don't know about, I'm going to guess mine was baked into the hot-end somehow and was not going anywhere. Anyway, wanted to ask what I did wrong, and what to look for in the future.

I get the impression that there will be additional extruder jams in my future, so thought I'd ask before I ruin more of these $75 parts.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:19 pm

ajmadison wrote: I get the impression that there will be additional extruder jams in my future, so thought I'd ask before I ruin more of these $75 parts.
You haven't ruined the part, but sometimes the thermistor is wedged in there fairly tightly.

This is the thermistor:
thermistor.jpg
You do not actually have to remove the thermistor to take the nozzle off. Or you can try poking it through carefully with a awl from the other side, there is a little hole underneath it.

Just remove the nozzle. :D

insta

Post by insta » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:01 am

THE NEWER V4S USE SET SCREWS ON THE THERMISTORS HOLY CRAP DONT JUST YANK THE THING OUT :shock: :shock:
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ajmadison

Post by ajmadison » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:06 am

Thanks insta.

My eyesight isn't what it once was. I saw the holes, but now I know what's in them. And no worries, no yanking.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:22 am

insta wrote:THE NEWER V4S USE SET SCREWS ON THE THERMISTORS HOLY CRAP DONT JUST YANK THE THING OUT :shock: :shock:
Wow.....that's embarrassing! Totally correct and i never noticed it - the one spare hot end that I took off of the Rev.E does have set screws in it! (The older ones don't.)

I need to go update that write-up. There's wedged, and then there's set screws....... :roll:

Great save, insta! :oops: