Printing nylon on glass bed

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
JeremyV

Printing nylon on glass bed

Post by JeremyV » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:08 am

So I am new to this whole 3d printing game and I got some taulman 618 nylon to print some functional parts with and found out the hard way that it warps and does not stick well to the glass bed I tried a few different things and then I had an idea! I had tried the glue stick but it wouldn't hold bigger parts without pulling free. I saw someone talking about using some kind of wood board to print on but how it was annoying because the wood gets stuck in the first layer and also requires you to reset your Z zero.
Anyway I decided to just use Elmer's glue stick to glue down a sheet of printer paper to the glass bed!
Its amazing! Holds awesome and when you remove the part it tears the paper in half but to clean up use a damp cloth and the paper and glue fall apart and you just wipe it off. Leaves a very nice finish on the bottom of the parts as well.
Takes a little while longer then just printing on the bed but time well spent in my opinion.

Hope this helps someone who was having the same issues I have had.

Jules

Re: Printing nylon on glass bed

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Great tip! Haven't tried nylon yet but this is definitely a keeper. :D

JeremyV

Post by JeremyV » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:53 pm

With the nylon I print a raft as well on the bigger parts. Anything under 2 inch seems to print fine just on the paper

1oldclown

Post by 1oldclown » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi all,

I’ve had really good luck printing nylon on paper. I gue it down with Elmer’s school glue, clear and water soluble, and top coat the paper as well. The largest item I’ve done is around 7” wide, printed in taulman PCPTE. I use a lot of Bridge for smaller parts and 910 as well.

I spread the glue on my glass, put the paper down, turn on the bed heater, spread a little more glue down, and let the whole mess dry out. Takes a few minutes for the wrinkles to flatten out and all that f the water to evaporate. Rehome the Z and print.

I’ve tried this same process but using Elmers white Glue All. For me, it’s not as successful.

I do however use the Glue All on my build plate when using PLA, PET, and find it to be better than PEI, or Gecko flex.

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Seems to be a lot of work. Have you tried glue stick on top of Kapton? That has always worked well for me on both my M2 and Markforged.