ABS prints are slightly bent.

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Rhragnarok

Re: ABS prints are slightly bent.

Post by Rhragnarok » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:31 am

Well the main reason I am using ABS is because that's what I have been using. So it's what I am familiar with.

Also, for the project I am working on bonding it together with Acetone makes is SUPER simple afterwards. And on the Flashforge Creator Pro I was using I was able (After much trial and error) to get good quality prints.

I also don't like how stringy PLA ends up. Is there a way to get it to be less stringy feeling? I feel like everytime I print PLA I can see all of the lines of the layers. Whereas ABS tends to kinda blend together making surfaces smoother.

If I can find a reliable and strong way to bond it and a way to make it smoother looking then I would happily use PLA. It's a lot easier to print, that's for sure!

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:53 am

Rhragnarok wrote:Well the main reason I am using ABS is because that's what I have been using. So it's what I am familiar with.
I WAS a bit ABS fan....
i'm hooked on PETG now.. give it a try.. i would opt to print a large print with PETG over fighting ABS.

I've not tried solvent welding with it yet though,

PETG is not without its challenges... but if you can take on ABS prints, PETG isn't any more of a challenge and there are some good write ups here on it.
Certainly worth a go...
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Rhragnarok wrote:bonding it together with Acetone
You just need to find the proper solvent for the plastic you're using; the hellish mixture in IPS #4 works pretty well on PLA and PETG.

In fact, I just learned of a staggeringly expensive two-part adhesive (3M Scotchweld DP8005) that can bond polyethylene, nylon, and even PTFE. It has a short shelf life and requires a metered dispenser with mechanical mixing, so it's not a glue for dilettantes such as I ...
everytime I print PLA I can see all of the lines
I've used Slic3r's "infill every x layers" option to get 0.1 mm perimeters with 0.2 mm layers inside. That works well at the cost of greatly increasing the print time, because I run the perimeters very slowly: twice as many perimeters just about doubles the total time. Perhaps S3D has a similar option.

It would probably work with 0.05 mm layers around 0.2 mm interior layers, but that's just crazy talk. Better to slather jsc's favorite dressing on the thing: XTC-3D FTW, so I gather.

Rhragnarok

Post by Rhragnarok » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:40 pm

ednisley wrote: It would probably work with 0.05 mm layers around 0.2 mm interior layers, but that's just crazy talk. Better to slather jsc's favorite dressing on the thing: XTC-3D FTW, so I gather.

Have you used STC-3D? I am curious how it works on parts with tons of small detail? I am printing very small parts with lots of detail like this one. (This is an ABS print on the Flashforge Creator Pro)
That grid is 1" x 1".
ednisley wrote: I've used Slic3r's "infill every x layers" option to get 0.1 mm perimeters with 0.2 mm layers inside. That works well at the cost of greatly increasing the print time, because I run the perimeters very slowly: twice as many perimeters just about doubles the total time. Perhaps S3D has a similar option.
Are you doing this to allow you to increase the number outside layers? Or to decrease the number inside layers?

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 pm

On another Forum someone suggested SciGrip but there are several variations of the stuff, maybe its #3 for PETG? Not that expensive and with Amazon Prime "free shipping"
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:08 am

SciGrip is a wholly owned subsidiary of IPS, which makes Weld-On. Not sure what the difference is between all the flavors.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:01 am

Rhragnarok wrote:how it works on parts with tons of small detail
Dunno, but it should help fill in the irregularities a bit. Of course, if the irregularities are roughly the same size as the features you want, coating them might be a net loss.

Thinner layers will produce less of the "contour line" effect on the top of the domes and gentle slopes and I suspect you've already discovered that the narrowest wall must be at least two threads wide and walls less than, say, four threads produce odd infill problems.
increase the number outside layers? Or to decrease the number inside layers?
You set the layer thickness for the perimeter threads, then set the "every x layers" to increase the infill layer thickness. Slic3r will quietly ignore "every x" values that would produce impossibly thick layers. The maximum layer thickness seems to be a bit less than the nozzle diameter, so (IIRC) you can't do "every 3" layers with a 0.1 mm perimeter and a 0.35 mm nozzle.

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll find any combination of settings that will make you jump for joy, because you're working right at the resolution limits for consumer-grade 3D printers. You can certainly improve the results, but it's never going to look like injection molding when you're done... unless you have jimc's Perfect Master touch with high-fill primers and spray guns!

insta

Post by insta » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:52 am

ednisley wrote: In fact, I just learned of a staggeringly expensive two-part adhesive (3M Scotchweld DP8005) that can bond polyethylene, nylon, and even PTFE. It has a short shelf life and requires a metered dispenser with mechanical mixing, so it's not a glue for dilettantes such as I ...
... it's a bottle of bolts & nuts?

Good lord that's a terrifying solvent otherwise.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:08 pm

insta wrote:terrifying
They had me at "polyethlyene" ...