How To Fix a Filament Jam, with Video

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
beerstar

How To Fix a Filament Jam, with Video

Post by beerstar » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:25 pm

I caused a filament jam by cutting the filament and trying to extrude it through instead of retracting it. I didn't realize at the time that the gear would have no way to push it all the way into the extruder...I guess I should have reasoned that, but I can be a fool sometimes. Anyway, one of the nice guys at MakerGear explained how to fix it. I followed his instructions and filmed the whole thing just incase anybody else runs into this same predicament. Below is a link to the video. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/yNi1q5U6Nus

P.S. As one of the other posters said: To avoid this problem, Don't cut the filament! Just heat the extruder and retract it.
Last edited by beerstar on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jules

Re: Filament Jam

Post by Jules » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:09 am

Yep, that's how it's done all right. Nice vid! Should be helpful. :lol:

beerstar

Post by beerstar » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:41 am

Thanks for the compliment, Jules. FYI ~ I've learned a lot from your posts, so thanks for that too!

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanksa berry berry much! :D

(You know, if you wouldn't mind changing the title of your original post to something like "How To Fix a Filament Jam, with Video", then newcomers will be able to find it more easily down the road. Otherwise they tend to disappear over time. I was trying to get "How To" into the titles of useful posts that can help people resolve problems. Makes it easier to search. :) )

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:19 pm

I think you have it all figured out, but for anyone new here are a few pointers to avoid this.

Stop cutting filament off, its totally unnecessary, and resolves in jams. - To change filaments, heat up the hotend to the correct temp of the filament in the machine, then retract it out. No cutting involved.

When you do have a jam as shown in the video you could be saved by again heating the hot end, maybe go a bit hotter than usual. (Don't exceed the temp for that filament type). You might get lucky and will be able to push new/additional filament down through the top and it will force that piece out.

I have gotten to the point where I do not have jams from changing filaments. I print in PLA and PETG, and go back and forth between each of them.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

sthone

Re: How To Fix a Filament Jam, with Video

Post by sthone » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:06 pm

If it's the same type of filament (just a different color) I cut it and just follow it in with the next color all the time and don't have any issues.

Jules

Re: How To Fix a Filament Jam, with Video

Post by Jules » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:07 am

sthone wrote:If it's the same type of filament (just a different color) I cut it and just follow it in with the next color all the time and don't have any issues.
I sometimes do too, (especially when i'm color switching in the middle of a print), but you have to cut both the ends completely flat to do that successfully every time, (and push it in a little bit until the new strand catches) and i think the instructions that come with the machine advise you to cut an angle on the end you are feeding in. (And if you try to feed an angle cut strand in, with another strand in there, you're going to jam it for sure.)

It's definitely more of a sure thing to just retract, (and you can check your bite marks while you're at it ;) ), so for single color prints, that's what i do. Yeah, it wastes a little bit of filament, but it has probably saved a few prints from bad bite marks, so I figure it all washes out. :roll:

(I think for beginners, retraction is absolutely the best way to go. :D )